Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do I have to tip?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What does the amount of my bill have to do with the service you receive? Where did they get the %15 tip thing from? I was just thinking about this at dinner. Shouldn't you just tip on how your service was instead of a certain % of the bill?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Replies (621-630):
Crashly
by Ashley on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM
My place of employment requires 10%. If we don't claim at least that we get taken off the serving schedule and go back to hosting/bussing/expo. I claim all of my tips.

Quoting demonica29:

Quoting Anonymous:

Because WE have to claim the sales on the food YOU purchase. We have to claim at least 10% by law. So cheap asses really fuck us over.

7.5% actually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
demonica29
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Quoting Crashly:

Get a new job, you're only LEGALLY required to claim 7.5%.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 62 on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I am not in on the dumb feelings, but lets say a mom who makes min. wage takes her kids to eat.  Why should she have to tip more than she makes an hour?

Quoting TheMrs407:

Yes, especially when they get paid less than min wage.  Think it's "dumb" all you want.

Quoting mrsbrimer:

So because someone has to carry out 4 plates of food instead of 2, they deserve more? Thats dumb

Quoting Anonymous:

You tip the % based on your service because the more you order the more work it is for them.  Is this too hard to comprehend?

K-Chan
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

We tip based on how good our service was. 

jazminedodson
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Yeah, no matter how good you are, people don't always tip like they should.  There are alot of cheapskates in this world.  I've been in the serving/bar/dancing industry for 13 years.

Quoting celestegood:

Most of the time, if one is good at what they do, they find that they good tippers well more than make up for the bad tippers.

Quoting jazminedodson:

You should get a job working on tips, then tell me how you feel.

I Love my little man!!!baby gift

Crashly
by Ashley on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Lol I'm fine with claiming all of my tips. I make way to much money to get a new job. As a single parent and full time college student I am happy to work where I do and be able to pay my bills on time with no assistance.
I don't care if others want to "cheat" the government on their reported tips but I refuse to do so. I'm an honest person.

Quoting demonica29:

Quoting Crashly:

Get a new job, you're only LEGALLY required to claim 7.5%.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OregonMom80
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM
In my state they are paid minimum wage and the standard tip is still at least 15%.

Quoting HotMichMomma:

That's part of their wages. I suppose the servers could just make minimum wage instead... But then your bill would increase more than 15%. Whatever floats your boat

rosey154
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Thanks to everyone that posted here today..... I found it highly interesting and entertaining. Made it through all of the posts before I had to put in my two cents. Took me awhile. I have worked as a waitress/bartender for thirty years. I learned a long time ago that it all works out in the end. I put my husband through college and raised four kids due to the generosity of strangers.......To all you tippers out there......Thank you!

flowersmama
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

thats what i feel a tip should be for the quality of service, not how much you already shelled out for service. i use to work for tips as a tour guide & @  a restaurant. i never expected any one to tip me, but i have a great service & people skills so i made a killing 

angelic.zombie
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

On that note why should a mom on min. wage take her kids out and screw over another mom trying to take care of her kids by not tipping properly?

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not in on the dumb feelings, but lets say a mom who makes min. wage takes her kids to eat.  Why should she have to tip more than she makes an hour?

Quoting TheMrs407:

Yes, especially when they get paid less than min wage.  Think it's "dumb" all you want.

Quoting mrsbrimer:

So because someone has to carry out 4 plates of food instead of 2, they deserve more? Thats dumb

Quoting Anonymous:

You tip the % based on your service because the more you order the more work it is for them.  Is this too hard to comprehend?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN