Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do I have to tip?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What does the amount of my bill have to do with the service you receive? Where did they get the %15 tip thing from? I was just thinking about this at dinner. Shouldn't you just tip on how your service was instead of a certain % of the bill?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Replies (631-640):
kimber2465
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

that is against the law- if they are doing anything else they are to get paid min. wage.  my daughter was just part of  a lawsuit about this.

Quoting firespurity:

In my state servers make about 2.15! Getting a good wage as a server around her is getting paid 2.35. Also people fail to realize Servers spend an hour not getting paid doing prep, and an hour` closing their station.

Quoting alexsmmma06:

If they were average, I leave a 15-20% tip. If it was excellent service, I leave 25% or more. They figure it in because usually the higher cost of the meal means more work for the server. Besides, most waiters only make $3-$4 an hour.  When I worked as a waitress in HS, I only made $2.95 an hour.

kimber2465
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM

tipping is earned

-AshleyNicole-
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM

We usually tip 25-30%.

My family would be so ashamed of me if I was a stingy tipper. I think it's really tacky. If you can afford to go out to eat, you can afford to tip.

kimber2465
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM

they have to claim all their tips for the night- what ever they have left after having to tip out to others. their tips have to make up what min. wage per hr is. if doesn't the employer has to pay the difference. also if you are a serving, and you come in to open, close, fill at the door.ect- your wage is to go to min. wage for however long u do that job.

Quoting michele115:

I didn't read all 600 replies so sorry if this is a repeat. Wondered if anyone touched on the fact that some places require the servers to claim a certain percent of their sales to the irs and if you have had a bad night where people didn't tip you could be claiming money and paying taxes on money you didn't make. 

teal.blaze
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM

It isn't always the case. And unless it's included in the bill, you can adjust the tip according to service. I once left a penny to make a point. And if it is included, and you don't feel a 15% gratuity or whatever they include is reflective of the service, you can always ask for a manager.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 63 on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM
$2.13 an hour in Houston.
alandou
by Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM
If you don't leave a tip that means your server is only making $2-$3 per hour. I've been a server many years, years ago. Honesty, I don't always tip. If my server hates his job and it shows, no tip.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 62 on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:09 AM

To be clear I mean a certain percentage of the bill,not avoid tipping.   I don't even work so this isnt personal. But I say if a mom works and wants to take her kids out to eat or even for a special occasion-- compensating the staffs low wage is not her worry.  If she tipped $5 that brought said waitress up to min wage.  

My point is basically more expensive items don't mean more work.  My kids cheap meals need more trips back n forth than my pricey steak or whatever.  Assume  they were different tables and the % doesn't make sense

Quoting angelic.zombie:

On that note why should a mom on min. wage take her kids out and screw over another mom trying to take care of her kids by not tipping properly?

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not in on the dumb feelings, but lets say a mom who makes min. wage takes her kids to eat.  Why should she have to tip more than she makes an hour?

Quoting TheMrs407:

Yes, especially when they get paid less than min wage.  Think it's "dumb" all you want.

Quoting mrsbrimer:

So because someone has to carry out 4 plates of food instead of 2, they deserve more? Thats dumb

Quoting Anonymous:

You tip the % based on your service because the more you order the more work it is for them.  Is this too hard to comprehend?

3boys1girl32
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Quoting nathans_mom407:

It depends on your state.if you look up us department of labor they have the pay scales there

Alaskawood
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Tip = Gratuity    Gratuity = Gratitude, Thankfulness

Personally, I don't like the percentage thing. Used to be like 10% when I was a kid, but these days they say 15 or 20%. It should be totally on how happy you were with the service provided. When you are getting service you appreciate, you can thank the waiter/ waitress with a better tip. If they don't make good tips, they should realize they need to work harder to provide better service. Sometimes just a friendly smile can make all the difference in how they are perceived.

We went out to eat a couple weeks ago. Hubby left a very generous tip on the table and then as he gave the waitress the little folder with the sales ticket and cash in it, he told her to keep the change (billl was $59.75, he put $60 in the little pocket). We proceeded to leave the restaurant. The waitress came running outside after us to give us the quarter and apologize again for the the fact that our appetizers came out after we already had the entre's. This had not bothered us one bit. Not her fault, kitchen goofed. My husband assured her that her tip was on the table and we were quite pleased with her service. Apparently she had thought the quarter was her tip and thought we were upset with the service. Felt bad for her, cuz we sure didn't mean to make her think that. Poor choice of words I guess when he told her to "keep the change".  Oops.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN