Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Momma's boys...ugh!

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM
  • 19 Replies
I dated a momma's boy in college. Even though I appreciated his sensitivity and his affectionate nature, his slavish devotion to his mother earned first my disgust and then my disrespect. I found myself constantly yelling in my head, "Be a man!"

Both of my DSs would have been momma's boys...if I had let them. I've shaken off my older boy (10). He's identifying with his father more. He still loves me, but doesn't have to be in my lap or holding my hand all the time. Now the little one (6)...

Not only is he super attached to me, he's such a scaredy-cat his father can't seem to get him interested in any "manly pursuits". Football? He's afraid he'll get hit...by other players or the ball. Wrestling? He'll get crushed. Mechanics? He'll get dirty (germaphobe).

I don't want to hurt his feelings but I need him to not be a momma's boy. What to do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Babujai
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM
BUMP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BEXi
by BEXi on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM
My 3 year old is very sensitive, caring.. Very much a mom as boy, but he is also not afraid to wrestle his older brother down to the ground. I believe being a mommas boy isn't a BAD thing, there can be a good balance.

You know they say you can tell how a man would treat his wife by looking at the way he treats his mom. I'd rather be with a mommas boy than some asshole.
cherrywaves21
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmymunchkins3
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:10 PM
my 3yr old is a mamas boy so im no help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SLOmommy
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Sounds like that's just the way he is. Kids are going to be who they are, you can teach them things but you can't change who they are.
Hopefully he's just taking a bit longer to grow out of it (my sensitive son turned so boyish at 5 and I want the sweet baby back lol)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I've also dated a guy that hated his mother. He was a beast. I left him because he was abusive.

DH loves his mother, but isn't a momma's boy. He respects her, but he's a man. When she objected to a Unity Candle that I wanted in my wedding, DH told her, I love you and want you to be there but this is OUR wedding and if she (me) wants a Unity Candle then she'll have one. Momma's Boy would have tried to talk me out of the Unity Candle and Momma Hater would have told his mother not to come to the wedding, if not worse.

Quoting BEXi:

My 3 year old is very sensitive, caring.. Very much a mom as boy, but he is also not afraid to wrestle his older brother down to the ground. I believe being a mommas boy isn't a BAD thing, there can be a good balance.

You know they say you can tell how a man would treat his wife by looking at the way he treats his mom. I'd rather be with a mommas boy than some asshole.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Addison12
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM

i broke that cycle from hubby

Mami2oneboy
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM
I have a 2 year old momma's boy, he's rough though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Capricorn0119
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Why do anything? Let him be who he is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Isn't it a parent's job to shape their children into decent adults? I'm not trying to change his personality, I just don't want to inadvertently be a factor in any relationship difficulty he may have in the future. Idk...maybe he'll get lucky and meet someone that doesn't mind his mommy preference.

Quoting Capricorn0119:

Why do anything? Let him be who he is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)