Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ATTENTION PARENTS with kids in DANCE

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM
  • 27 Replies

So I run a non profit dance program through the club and for several years (while I was still SAHM) we had fundraised to purchase dance shoes, clothing, costumes to be re-used because a lot of parents did not have funds to provide these things for the program.

I have decided to go back to college and contribute to the working world and household income. So I do not have as much time to devote to the program like I did before (btw I was teaching as a volunteer 4 hours 4 days a week). Now I am stuck with a ton of dance clothes, shoes, and costumes barely worn some are brand new, some in good condition.

The one thing I did find the parents did like was being able to either TRADE shoes or buy things used for less cost. I have to find ways to sell off the stuff we won't be using anymore (We are going to stick with tees and shorts because they are cheapest) and been googling looking for exchange sites for fitness and dance wear. I am not finding much out there.

It happens to be that I am going back to school for my computer programming and administration associates and been doing web design for ten years now. I am thinking about opening both auction and exchange website allowing parents to sell off used dance clothing and costumes along with fitness clothing (Zumba and so forth) which can be really expensive. So my question is, would some of you be interested in a site like that? I am looking to set up a system you can search by location and purchase or exchange locally.

I did find that some towns have consignment or second hand stores strictly for dance and fitness wear. I am not finding many sites that are second hand though.

Ebay is way too expensive in my opinion.

by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:26 PM

BUMP!

thetrollcat

BUMP!

thetrollcat

BUMP!

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM

BUMP!

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Yes I would definitely be interested in that!

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM

BUMP!

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Oh awesome thank you for your reply. As of right now what do you do? Do you donate your stuff or just keep them or what?

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Right now we just keep everything. My DD has been in dance for 4 years and I didn't realize how much stuff was piling up until today. We're moving soon and I was packing up clothes today and she had an entire dresser drawer full of dance stuff, at least half of it she's outgrown. I've been hesitating on giving it to Goodwill because I want it to go to girls who need it. I've never really seen dance stuff there.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Oh awesome thank you for your reply. As of right now what do you do? Do you donate your stuff or just keep them or what?

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I would love that but it would not work for us.  Our shoes and costumes are ordered by the studio.  We cant just have tan strappy taps, we have to have dancing fair style 3948390 or whatever.  Kat went through 3 pairs of tap shoes last year (she splits the sole by the toe) so I also go through them quickly.  Id love to be able to get off cheaper. 

As far as costumes it would be really hard because even if the whole team donated theirs the team that is getting them would all have to be the same sizes.  It might work for solos and such though.

I spend about $1000 a year on shoes and costumes.  If there was a way I could get off a little cheaper Id love it.   I do not think our studio would allow it however.  There is a chain around here called just for kix.  I know they do used costumes and arent as fussy about shoes.  Im sure your service could help other dance moms. 

WFG2012
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM
yes! I danced for 14 years and DD is starting in September. costumes and crap are expensive and never get used more than twice- and that's if you're lucky! I would LOVE to be able to get stuff at a discount
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured