Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Jobs are Abundant in the Midwest!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM
  • 294 Replies
2 moms liked this

I don't get it.  All over the news people are complaining about high unemployment rates and citizens are complaining they cannot find work.

We run a classic car restoration business and we have had a surge of new jobs lined up and we have been looking for a experienced, certified auto body technician.  We have run ads that cover the entire midwest.  Numerous papers all over the midwest, internet ads and radio ads galore...How many calls have we received from people interested?  NONE. 

We had a little team meeting and decided to dumb down the ad and instead of certified experienced auto body technician we are now looking for "someone with skills willing to work"...

As I was calling the places I had the ads listed with to replace the old one with the new, I had conversations explaining the switch and we shared a little giggle about looking for someone with "skills". 

With every paper, with every radio station, with every shopper, with every internet outlet.  They ALL said to me:

"You are not the first one complaining about not receiving any response from you ad, we have had many complaints from people searching for employees that they have not received any feed back either.  People just don't seem to want to work."...

Almost these exact words came from all 27 of our advertising outlets. 

I know that my state has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.  Not sure exactly where it falls but im pretty sure its one of the states with the lowest 3 unemployment rates.  

My question to everyone that is having a hard time finding employment, the people in california, new mexico, the places with the highest unemployment rates...why not relocate?  

I cannot be sure of all state policies, but im certain there are many states where PA will buy any qualifying family a bus ticket anywhere, they help with relocation.  If not hitch hike, find a ride, borrow some money, see a church, ask for donations...whatever...when there is a will there is a way...

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM
I live in ND and EVERYWHERE is hiring. And I've heard with the oil companies, you start out making $30/hour.
dlock25
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM

My husband is looking for people to work with him at a roofing company. Little to no experience necessary (He can train and also he needs laborors) He has had two people show up. One person he asked if they needed work found out that it would be outside and he said nope. I just don't understand.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM
6 moms liked this
It's not that. It's that many good jobs I don't qualify for. I have a diploma but I don't have much job skills. If they aren't willing to train and give a person a chance it makes things hard for those who do want to work.
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in podunkville Missouri. We don't even have a business except the Post Office in our town.

However there are jobs about 30-45 minutes from us (Walmart, fast food, grocery stores, etc, hospitals/nursing homes, etc...).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM
11 moms liked this
Cool story. My college educated husband is working in a factory. You need a molecular biologist in the Midwest?

It is not just as simple as moving. You need a job, home, and a good chunk of change to connect utilities. Unless you are willing to pay relocation costs, you may find that people are unable to come to you.
justme782
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Bump bump and bump! My husband is actually a mechanic...not certified but he is great at what he does. We live in Florida and have been dying to relocate anywhere where there are jobs and the cost of living isn't as high as here. I would love to talk to u somemore...seriously we would leave in a heartbeat! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superm0m877
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

What state are you in out of curiosity?

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL well of course there are jobs but people are being absolutely stubborn and refusing to go where the jobs are. Back in gramma's days that is just what you do, hence why we have a spread of population from east to west, north to south.

My state also has abundant job positions, people out of state move here (Beautiful Montana) and quit their jobs within six months to a year why? They couldnt hack the weather.

Wow really? You would rather be jobless because you cant hack the weather?

That is another excuse I hear, ALOT.

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Jobs are abundant for some areas.  the job I want and am waiting for is not abundant.  In the state of minnesota there are 30.000 teaching jobs.  there are 90,000 with licences. 

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I live in ND and EVERYWHERE is hiring. And I've heard with the oil companies, you start out making $30/hour.

This is very true, my brother in low works at an oil field in ND, he makes a budle and they are begging for people to work.  Always in need.  There really isn't many prerequisites either, most of it they pay for if you need a certification. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)