Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

3 1/2 yo in a booster?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Her car seat needs to be replaced but we can't afford a new big one, and she is already 40 lbs, is it too soon for a booster? Both my kids need new seats, the youngest has outgrown the baby seat and we gotta buy her a new extended rear facing seat ASAP. It would be around $400 for both seats, but if we buy a booster for the 3 1/2 to it will be around $250. She meets the weight req and everything.

Plz don't bash, I'm just looking for input and advice. Both are in expensive graco seats. The older ones seat is steel reinforced but the cover is really moldy and I can't find a replacement anywhere.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
PEEK05
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Um....yeah. Why wouldn't she? There are convertible seats that accomodate heavier/taller infants and toddlers.  She loved rear-facing.  I only put her forward facing because she was outgrowing it by height due to the way her seat was installed in my car.  My son is 14 months and is still rear-facing also, but he just turned 19 pounds. I am sure he will be rear-facing much longer than my daughter.

Quoting queentroll117:

blank staredoes she deal with it ok?

Quoting PEEK05:

My daughter just turned forward facing this spring.

Quoting queentroll117:

wow I must be out of the loop. my six year old has been in a backless booster for a year now.

Quoting PEEK05:

Yes, it's too soon.  My daughter is 3.5 years old in a month and the thought of her in a booster scares the ever living crap out of me.  She's nowhere near the weight requirement anyway.  I agree with the PP about the Evenflo Maestro for a cheap option.

MyLittlePwny

Are you saying a booster for the 3 1/2 year old will be $250?  If you're going to spend that kind of money, get a harnessed booster.  We bought one for our 4 year old because she just reached 40 pounds and it is great.  And it's a little cheaper than $250.

http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-frontier-85-combination-booster-car-seat-rushmore.html?utm_source=Google_Products&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=GoogleProducts&gclid=CJnPo_77nrECFaVe7AodDDcoYQ

PEEK05
1 mom liked this

Your mom is too little.

Quoting Randi02:

Please don't put her in a booster! She is way too little :(

queentroll117
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

not that this would change anything but my son would probably freak out.

Quoting PEEK05:

Um....yeah. Why wouldn't she? There are convertible seats that accomodate heavier/taller infants and toddlers.  She loved rear-facing.  I only put her forward facing because she was outgrowing it by height due to the way her seat was installed in my car.  My son is 14 months and is still rear-facing also, but he just turned 19 pounds. I am sure he will be rear-facing much longer than my daughter.

Quoting queentroll117:

blank staredoes she deal with it ok?

Quoting PEEK05:

My daughter just turned forward facing this spring.

Quoting queentroll117:

wow I must be out of the loop. my six year old has been in a backless booster for a year now.

Quoting PEEK05:

Yes, it's too soon.  My daughter is 3.5 years old in a month and the thought of her in a booster scares the ever living crap out of me.  She's nowhere near the weight requirement anyway.  I agree with the PP about the Evenflo Maestro for a cheap option.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

My older two were RF until they were almost 4, my youngest is 2 and still RF :)

Quoting PinkWink:

My 5 yr old was rfing until 4 1/2.

Quoting queentroll117:

holy moly. STILL rearfacing!!?

Quoting Anonymous:

Definitely not. My 7.5 year old is 53" tall and just went into a highback booster. My 3.5 year old is still rear facing.

Please find a cheaper harness seat if you can't afford an expensive one. This is extremely dangerous.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Ummm... our 4, almost 5 year old has been in a booster since she was 3 1/2. She has always been much bigger for her age though. She weighed about 40lbs and was 32 inches tall.

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/boostershop.aspx

singlemom52011
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I KNOW I WILL GET BASHED HERE BUT MY 14 MONTH OLD IS FACEING THE FRONT BC THE DR ORDERED HIM TO BE BC OF HIS HEART TROUBLES AND HE IS SO BIG

tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:53 PM
It's against the law here at that age. Check your local laws.

Even though the law here I'd 4 my ds was in a 5 point till 5. Safety first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chasesmum3109
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM
my son is 4 ft and 3 1/2 and weighs 43 lbs he gets the height from his dad who is 6.8 so he needs a booster
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cLanief
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
mine has too. You have to remember there are some very paranoid people...

Quoting queentroll117:

Quoting PEEK05:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)