Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Boy Scouts: We're keeping policy banning gays * AND THIS IS WHY MY BOYS WILL NEVER EVER BE BOY SCOUTS*

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM
  • 359 Replies

The Boy Scouts of America will keep their controversial policy banning gay scouts and leaders after a confidential two-year review, the organization said Tuesday.

The announcement comes amid a stepped-up campaign from activist groups urging an end to the membership guidelines.

The Boy Scouts convened a committee of volunteers and professional leaders in 2010 to decide whether the policy was still in the organization’s best interests after a resolution was put forward to reconsider it, the private group said in a statement that was first reported by The Associated Press.

The conclusion of the evaluation was shared at a February board meeting and recently reviewed by the officers of the board, BSA spokesman Deron Smith said in an email.

The committee included a diversity of perspectives and opinions. The review included forthright and candid conversation and extensive research and evaluations – both from within Scouting and from outside the organization. The committee’s work and conclusion is that this policy reflects the beliefs and perspectives of the BSA’s members, thereby allowing Scouting to remain focused on its mission and the work it is doing to serve more youth,” the statement said.   

The review was conducted confidentially "to allow the committee to make the best decision for the organization," Smith said.

Resolutions to affirm and to reconsider the controversial policy had been raised in the past.

In June, the Boy Scouts said the organization was considering a resolution put forward at the group's annual meeting that also called for ending the policy. At the time, Smith said that while they would “carefully consider” the resolution brought forward, there were “no plans to change this policy.”

AP, which first reported the decision, said this meant the Scouts’ national executive board would take no further action on the latest resolution.

Boy Scouts review controversial anti-gay policy
Eagle Scout son of lesbian moms: Boys Scouts must end gay discrimination
Gay mom upset after dismissal by Boy Scouts

The Boy Scouts’ policy became a focus of the U.S. Supreme Court in 2000, when the justices sided with the organization in a lawsuit involving a former Assistant Scoutmaster who was gay, citing the protections of the First Amendment.

Zach Wahls, an Eagle Scout who is the son of a lesbian couple, has recently campaigned for changing the policy, along with Jennifer Tyrrell, who was ousted from her post as a Tiger Cubs’ den leader in April because she is a lesbian. She started an online petition to seek changes to the Boy Scouts policy.

Smith said in an email that they would accept Tyrrell's petition on Wednesday, but did not plan to discuss the policy. He also said they didn’t expect any further meetings to receive the signatures, about half of which were previously delivered by Wahls at the Boy Scouts' annual meeting in May.

What do you think of the Boy Scouts' decision to keep the organization's ban on gay scouts and leaders?

Visit us at True Friends Cafe

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.There is no commandment greater than these.-Mark 12:30-31

by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sunshinebee2
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this
My son will NEVER be one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyFlood
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM
6 moms liked this
If I had a son, no way in hell would I allow him in any organization that disallowed gay people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM
16 moms liked this

Their rules. Don't like it then don't support them.

lanes_mom0109
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I will NEVER allow my son into boy scouts because of this. The last thing I want for my child is for him to picked up such a close minded attitude.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beautiful31mom
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Their rules. Don't like it then don't support them.

I don't. That is why I said My son's will never be a part of them. I would hope that when they grow up and have boys of their own they will not allow their Sons to be in it either.

Visit us at True Friends Cafe

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.There is no commandment greater than these.-Mark 12:30-31

Aichia
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM
There was also a case here in Oregon recently where a former scout got the confidential files the BSA had on their leaders suspected of being pedophiles.

The judge ruled that the BSA was negligent for not reporting & allowing boys to be abused.

Eta link for news report. I'm mobile so I can't make it clicky sorry.

http://topics.oregonlive.com/tag/timur%20dykes/index.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OregonNative
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM
11 moms liked this
So sad, but that's their right as a private organization. I don't support Boy Scouts of America at all and I'm glad that I don't have sons.

We're a Girl Scout family; the bleeding heart liberals of the scouting world, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSlingshot
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm always torn. I don't agree with their stance on this at all but everything else about them is something I would want DS to be a part of. I haven't decided what to do about it yet. DS will be eligible in a year so I need to make up my mind before then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:27 PM
28 moms liked this

clappingI applaud the scouts for sticking to their beliefs.  Not everyone is going to believe the same exact thing.  Don't like it, don't do it.  What's wrong with the gay/lesbian community starting their own 'scouts' program?  That's what the girl scouts did.  

I know, my opinion is not going to be a popular one at all, but I'm okay with that.  

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:35 PM
15 moms liked this
I guess I am going to be the one everyone hates here. I don't know the reasons why they are disallowing gays, but I can understand it in some cases. If there was a sleepover camp (which BSA does a lot) that was allowing boys and girls to go together and sleep in the same tent, share bathrooms and showers, ect, you might would have a different point of view. I am not insulting gay people or calling them "girlie" (not that that is an insult, but that is another post). What I am saying is that this is putting potential sexual partners in a situation where they would have access to each other and possibly could have sex. I would be angry if I sent my child to summer camp and they were having sex while they were there, or even if they were undressing around people who might be aroused by seeing them naked.

As for the leaders, it's the same problem as allowing female leaders to spend the night with boys or male leaders to spend the night with girls. I am not saying that people who are gay are going to have sex with kids, I'm saying that the potential is there. Just like it is with opposite gender adults. I don't think they should be discriminated against. I am all for marriage equality. I just don't know what the solution is to fix the problem. It is likely the BSA could not find one either, and just decided to leave things the way they are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)