Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why should I do Jury Duty??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've been called into Jury Duty, I've already delayed it once..I cannot delay it again. My employer will not pay me for time away on jury duty (in my state they are not required).

I can not afford to miss work!  Why should I do this if it will put my family behind financially!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting bluesky51201:

Because its the law. I thought the state paid you for jury duty, they do it here if your employer won't pay.

California pays $15 a day. I make over $100 a day. $15 /day WILL NOT pay my bills!

Jessica020410
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM
Wow! When I served here in Arkansas, it was $50 a day.

Quoting Anonymous:

in the state of Illinois, jury duty pay is about $17/day.  you can't even park in the city (there's a courthouse smack in the loop) for under $20.  it's always nice to be upside down at the end of a day of waiting for your number to be called!

they've sent me three notices in the last two years that I've completely ignored.  once they get my name right on the papers I'm happy to show up, but I'll be damned if I'm going down there with ID that has a different last name on it than the jury notice.  I did that once, it was a waste of time because they couldn't verify that it was me so it didn't count.

Quoting bluesky51201:

Because its the law. I thought the state paid you for jury duty, they do it here if your employer won't pay.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaFLgurl
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I would call up at the court and explain to them why you cant.

A little off topic: but I've have never been asked to do jury Duty. Hope I never do. *knock on wood*

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Quoting MsRkg:

1) because it's your civic duty.

2) You will be compensated for your time by the state, if your employer will not cover it. Even showing up for one day and not even being selected to serve on a jury will get you a compensation check.

1. I will tell my landlord, electric company and the grocery store that I had a "civic duty" to serve on a jury, however I cannot pay my bill. Think it will work?  

2. The state will compensate me $15 for one day. That's pennies! I cannot survive on $15 a day.

bluesky51201
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Everyone has to do it at some point. We'd have a hard time getting juries if everyone bailed out for whatever reason. Sorry you won't be paid enough bit millions of other people are in the same situation and they still have to serve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gabeybaby0504
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Wow, here in Delaware you only get paid if you do more than one day. You don't get any compensation for a single day. I just got a summons last week, but got excused since I breastfeed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM

And what do you do when you're sick?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MsRkg:

1) because it's your civic duty.

2) You will be compensated for your time by the state, if your employer will not cover it. Even showing up for one day and not even being selected to serve on a jury will get you a compensation check.

1. I will tell my landlord, electric company and the grocery store that I had a "civic duty" to serve on a jury, however I cannot pay my bill. Think it will work?  

2. The state will compensate me $15 for one day. That's pennies! I cannot survive on $15 a day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:10 PM
All you have to do is write them a letter explaining that your employer will not compensate you and that you cannot afford to miss. Yes it is your civic duty, but jury duty is not meant to be a financial hardship.
Joels-My-Love
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM
We are not registered to vote, so do not have to worry about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Do you have any type of emotional disorder, even if it's just depression?  I'm bipolar and I write on the card that I take medication and that I feel that it could affect my judgement.  They get that and then leave me alone for a few more years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)