Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why should I do Jury Duty??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've been called into Jury Duty, I've already delayed it once..I cannot delay it again. My employer will not pay me for time away on jury duty (in my state they are not required).

I can not afford to miss work!  Why should I do this if it will put my family behind financially!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:27 PM

You can have it excused out of it for certain things and not being able to miss work is one of them. 

LeahJ
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:34 PM
4 moms liked this
I just love how everyone has an excuse for avoiding jury duty. Its pathetic. Yes, yes, your life is just SOOOO much more important than everyone else's ever. Eye roll. That is, until YOU need a jury because you're suing someone, or being sued, or worse- the victim of a crime. Then you would be disgusted if you didn't get your trial because there weren't enough jurors that day who bothered to show up for jury duty since, as is all too typical in america these days, their self entitled lives are more important than everyone else's. Our forefathers would be so ashamed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LeahJ
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Disgusting, on about fifty different levels.

Quoting Joels-My-Love:

We are not registered to vote, so do not have to worry about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkWink
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Here they pay you $9 for jury duty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Joels-My-Love
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Lol ok

Quoting LeahJ:

Disgusting, on about fifty different levels.

Quoting Joels-My-Love:

We are not registered to vote, so do not have to worry about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Lucky, it's $7 here. LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bluesky51201:

Because its the law. I thought the state paid you for jury duty, they do it here if your employer won't pay.

California pays $15 a day. I make over $100 a day. $15 /day WILL NOT pay my bills!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LeahJ
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM
How about access to a civil and criminal justice system? You know, the one where you can peacefully settle your disputes? The one where the government has to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt because you are presumed innocent?

Did everyone in this thread flunk our of high school or something. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Starburst72:

Its your freaking civic duty in thanks for the freedoms you enjoy

which freedoms would those be?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM
2 moms liked this
It's not the judicial systems fault that you obviously made shitty life choices. If missing a day of work puts THAT much financial burden on you, you screwed up somewhere.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bluesky51201:

Everyone has to do it at some point. We'd have a hard time getting juries if everyone bailed out for whatever reason. Sorry you won't be paid enough bit millions of other people are in the same situation and they still have to serve.

Sorry does not feed my children. Sorry does not pay my utilities. Sorry does not pay my rent. How do you suppose I make up for my lost wages?

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Because it is the law and you can get fined and have legal fees if you don't. But call the court and tell them your situation. Most times they will work with a potential juror. Good luck.

teresa06
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM
the judge should interview u and u tell him y u cant do it. Thats wat happened when I went anyways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN