Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My neighbor thinks she can control the school just because her child has allergies

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 754 Replies
3 moms liked this
So my neighbor moved in just as school ended. We are friendly, we talk when we see each other out. We just found out that our kids (her son, my DD) will be in the same class this year. She saw me walking up my driveway with lots of bags full of school supplies. She said "oh getting ready for school"? DD said "yep, mommy got lots of peanut butter". My DD eats sandwiches at school and the only sandwiches she will eat are peanut butter (peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter and fluff, peanut butter and bananas)during the summer, she has lot lunches. Well the neighbor said "I should tell you that your DD won't be allowed to eat peanut butter at school because Jake (her son) has an allergy, I have already called the school and told them that no one can eat peanut butter around my son". Now I know that the school doesn't ban foods because of allergies but I just let it go. I called the school to make sure that they wouldn't be banning it and the secretary said that they will not be. Next time I saw my neighbor, I let her know what I was told and she said "well I will be sending a letter to every parent in the class saying that if they send peanut butter with their kid and her kid somehow gets it, she will sue". It took everything I had not to laugh at her
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM
75 moms liked this
People need to train the kid to stay away from it, not change everyone else, that's ridiculous.
lincolnlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Smh.....some people. What will most likely happen is that her son will have to sit at a seperate table at lunch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allycally
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:08 PM
5 moms liked this
I HATE when school starts all of these post make me nuts.....Get over it.... teach ur daughter to eat other things or keep her home if she has food aversion that bad....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM
58 moms liked this

It's peanut butter! Your kid will live without it, her kid may not live with it around. This argument is soo stupid...whiny, heartless wenches.

funny_girl3
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM
31 moms liked this

I'm sure that having a child with a life-threatening allergy is frightening, but I don't think that my children should have to sacrifice for another child's medical condition.  Mommy will not be able to follow that child all through his life to make sure that his environment is peanut free.  It's incredibly self-centered of her to assume that the school will ban peanuts for her child.

-Ruby-
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM
18 moms liked this

It's going to be serious lulz when these allergy kids grow up and think everyone should bend to their whims and revolve around their condition.

HezekiahsMom07
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM
My son's daycare doesn't allow peanuts on the premises. Too many kids are allergic, including my son. He has an epi pen and everything. kids and even teachers give kids stuff. They probably wouldn't even think/care to ask 'are you allergic to nuts?'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM
13 moms liked this

Quoting allycally:

I HATE when school starts all of these post make me nuts.....Get over it.... teach ur daughter to eat other things or keep her home if she has food aversion that bad....

She is lactose intolerant and ham makes her sick so there isn't much she can have for sandwiches. Maybe my neighbor should teach her kid not to eat other people's food (which he shouldn't do anyway)
macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

The school will need to make accomodations, but banning peanut butter is typically not one of them.

spanishblueyes
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM
14 moms liked this

As a mom whose kids had early food allergies I agree. I never would have expected to try to control what other parents sent to school. I am realistic enough to know I cant control the rest of the world. If it was that severe I would be too nervous to be sending my kid to a school lunch room anyway.Doesnt mean im heartless about others allergies though. My dd has a classmate who has a gluten allergy. So for h er birthday I found a gluten free cupcake mix to send for the occasion. And they were pretty tasty too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)