Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My neighbor thinks she can control the school just because her child has allergies

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So my neighbor moved in just as school ended. We are friendly, we talk when we see each other out. We just found out that our kids (her son, my DD) will be in the same class this year. She saw me walking up my driveway with lots of bags full of school supplies. She said "oh getting ready for school"? DD said "yep, mommy got lots of peanut butter". My DD eats sandwiches at school and the only sandwiches she will eat are peanut butter (peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter and fluff, peanut butter and bananas)during the summer, she has lot lunches. Well the neighbor said "I should tell you that your DD won't be allowed to eat peanut butter at school because Jake (her son) has an allergy, I have already called the school and told them that no one can eat peanut butter around my son". Now I know that the school doesn't ban foods because of allergies but I just let it go. I called the school to make sure that they wouldn't be banning it and the secretary said that they will not be. Next time I saw my neighbor, I let her know what I was told and she said "well I will be sending a letter to every parent in the class saying that if they send peanut butter with their kid and her kid somehow gets it, she will sue". It took everything I had not to laugh at her
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM
7 moms liked this
I think it's pretty sad when a parent chooses their child's comfort over another child's life.
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM
8 moms liked this

at some point our kids are only going to be allowed water at school.  Maybe it should be like it was in the 50s kids had the option to walk home for lunch.  Just have NO food at school at all.  

*wonders how many posts there will be of "you are a bad parent because your child will only eat peanut butter.  I dont care if your child has sensory issues.  get over it.  you need to accommodate my child.  If your child is so fragile keep them home and away from my fragile child." derp. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Quoting eastcoastmama11:

Lmao I call troll.

"lots of peanut butter!!"

Your kid picked the perfect line for cafe mom drama?

She was excited because since all she can really eat at school is peanut butter sandwiches, I don't let her have them during the summer (we make hot meals for lunch in the summer)
spanishblueyes
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I dont think its the allergy itself that the op is bugged about. If I knew my child had a classmate that allergic to peanuts I wouldnt send him or her a sandwich in the lunch. Its the self righteous attitude this mom and other moms of kids with alllergies have. That t hey want to control what others do. If my neighbor had come to me with that attitude Id tell her to get bent and homeschool. If she came and asked nicely if I could possibly send a substitute to school because she fears for her childs safety then I would.l think that is the issue at hand here.

Quoting Misery_Stitches:

So let's see here
your kid gets peanut butter and is happy, her son could get seriously sick or even worse - die!
Or
your kid has something other than peanut butter, may have a tanty but will get over it and her son will be safe.
Yeah... selfish!... and I'm not talking about the other parent there!

marinesweetie
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM
I agree!!! But just the other day i was trying to make this point & got told should starve

Quoting wkukid:

People need to train the kid to stay away from it, not change everyone else, that's ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doodlebut
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM
4 moms liked this
Im not saying I agree with op, but that's really not a valid argument. The same could be said for the boy with allergies.

Quoting allycally:

I HATE when school starts all of these post make me nuts.....Get over it.... teach ur daughter to eat other things or keep her home if she has food aversion that bad....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Lactose intolerant children can take medicine that allows them to eat those products.  (My daughter is severly lactose intolerant.)  There is no medecine to prevent an allergic reaction to peanuts.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM

this and give said kid a fanny pack with all the neccessary medications in it.

Quoting wkukid:

People need to train the kid to stay away from it, not change everyone else, that's ridiculous.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's pretty sad when a parent chooses their child's comfort over another child's life.

Unless her child eats my child's sandwich, there won't be a problem
JZB
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Not sure what kind of allergy but if its life threatening shame on you. Good God you are worried about your daughter being picky over a child's life? Yes I agree the mom should take certain precautions too but sometimes all it can take is your dd not washing her hands after lunch and touching a toy then her son touching it. And yes things like this have happened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)