Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My neighbor thinks she can control the school just because her child has allergies

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So my neighbor moved in just as school ended. We are friendly, we talk when we see each other out. We just found out that our kids (her son, my DD) will be in the same class this year. She saw me walking up my driveway with lots of bags full of school supplies. She said "oh getting ready for school"? DD said "yep, mommy got lots of peanut butter". My DD eats sandwiches at school and the only sandwiches she will eat are peanut butter (peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter and fluff, peanut butter and bananas)during the summer, she has lot lunches. Well the neighbor said "I should tell you that your DD won't be allowed to eat peanut butter at school because Jake (her son) has an allergy, I have already called the school and told them that no one can eat peanut butter around my son". Now I know that the school doesn't ban foods because of allergies but I just let it go. I called the school to make sure that they wouldn't be banning it and the secretary said that they will not be. Next time I saw my neighbor, I let her know what I was told and she said "well I will be sending a letter to every parent in the class saying that if they send peanut butter with their kid and her kid somehow gets it, she will sue". It took everything I had not to laugh at her
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Replies (41-50):
two4one
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM
6 moms liked this

BTW, for those of you saying not to eat another kid's sandwich, are you playing dumb or are you actually unaware that kids can have reactions just from smelling PB or touching something that may have peanut butter on it?

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

So basically what you're saying is that your child's medical issues which are not life threatening are more important than another child's possible life threatening allergy.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

-Ruby-
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM
14 moms liked this

That's different and you know it.

Allergies don't prevent someone from getting around. They simply require personal responsibility and management.

And having wheelchair ramps doesn't force others to modify their lives around the condition.

But let's take your logic one step further, if you're so intent on it: how about we completely alter our lives to accomodate every condition everyone has, everywhere? Some kid is allergic to cotton? Okay, rubber suits for the whole class. Someone is allergic to rubber? Okay, wool. Someone is allergic to wool? Let's just go naked! Someone offended by nudity, ah, fuck, let's just all stay home then.

If a kid gets cancer, should the whole class be forced to shave their head and get stuck with needles and have endless, painful tests performed on them, so that they don't feel abnormal?

What if some kid is allergic to grains? Or they'll die if they eat anything with grapefruit (an allergy I had, by the way, due to a medication as a kid). Do we ban grains and grapefruit?

When does personal responsibility kick in?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting -Ruby-:

It's going to be serious lulz when these allergy kids grow up and think everyone should bend to their whims and revolve around their condition.

I know right.  And what about those damn kids in wheelchairs!?!  So demanding with their needs for ramps and elevators...  why do we need to work aound their condition!?!  Geez!

kryptomom
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

They have peanut free zones.  That should be good enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM

lol Don't think I said that.  You're a goober.

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

So we should medicate some children to make it more convenient for a small amount of children?

Quoting Anonymous:

Lactose intolerant children can take medicine that allows them to eat those products.  (My daughter is severly lactose intolerant.)  There is no medecine to prevent an allergic reaction to peanuts.

Misery_Stitches
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
There is all sorts! My kids have any of the following or more than one in their sandwiches...
Tuna (variety of flavours)
Cheese
mayo
lettuce
tomato
cucumber
Egg
jam
relish
Yeast spreads like marmite or vegemite
capsicums
Sprouts
Grated carrot

And probably more I can't think of right at the top of my head. There so so much more than peanut butter or deli meats. Obviously your one can't have the cheese , neither can my son coz he is allergic to dairy.
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Misery_Stitches:

So let's see here

your kid gets peanut butter and is happy, her son could get seriously sick or even worse - die!

Or

your kid has something other than peanut butter, may have a tanty but will get over it and her son will be safe.

Yeah... selfish!... and I'm not talking about the other parent there!

My DD is lactose intolerant and ham makes her sick. Actually most meats make her sick so what else can she eat?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM
4 moms liked this
Then perhaps their parents should homeschool to keep them safe. If my child had that kind of extreme reaction then I would keep them in more controlled environments.

Quoting two4one:

BTW, for those of you saying not to eat another kid's sandwich, are you playing dumb or are you actually unaware that kids can have reactions just from smelling PB or touching something that may have peanut butter on it?

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

-_o good luck...I always think that maybe these parents should try alternative education, since in reality not everyone is going to follow the ban.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting macbudsmom:

What a lot of people forget is that you cannot always tell that something is made with or from peanuts.

Quoting Anonymous:

My 4 yo knows he gets sick from orange juice so guess what, he doesn't drink orange juice. Why? Because we've talked and talked and talked about it. Why can't that work for someone with allergies?

But that helps the argument that her son should just not eat other's foods. Even if I did stop sending peanut butter sandwiches for my DD. I might send her a store bought brownie from the bakery. Right on the packages, everything from the bakery says "may have come in contact with peanuts". So if her son ate that brownie, he could suffer a reaction because of that. It just seems like it makes more sense to just have the child with allergies to only eat their own food.
MyLittlePwny
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM
8 moms liked this

Well, I'll worry about what my child consumes and you worry about yours.  It's not my job to cater to your child's needs - I'm not his parent and the "real world" isn't going to cater to him either.  A bunch of entitled little whiny brats we're raising today.  I seriously dread the future of this country. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)