Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Its that time again, the pb&j battles!

Posted by   + Show Post
I will never understand how any woman who calls herself a mother could think a sandwhich is more important than a childs life. An elementary school student should have to worry if they eat in the cafeteria that they might die.

So please explain to me how your child needing to eat pb&j is worth a kinder students life?

Oh and if your child had a life threatening food allergy that you wouldn't expect the same things from the district for you elementary school?

Let the shit storm begin. Honestly though I will never ever see my child's want of a sandwich, have more worth than a child's life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Replies (231-238):
karone04
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

When my son was in kindergarden my son had a boy in his class that was allergic to a few different things. Did it make it hard to find stuff to put in a goody bag for my son's birthday yes. I just made sure to stay away from the things the kid was allergic to. I grew up with 2 of my cousins allergic to a couple of things and one of my ex's (ex is son's father) cousins' son is allergic to tons of things also. Every school year I tell my son that if any of his friends have allergies to any food (I know kids are allergic to more than nuts and milk) that he should not share his food with them and to tell me if I would need to do something else for the parties he has in class.

volcom6980
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 4:38 AM
Obviously you dont understand what I am saying.. You can't protect them everywhere, that is why it is your job as a parent to teach them how serious their allergy is.. What about when you go to the park and.someone has peanuts for a snack or your walking in the grocery store and a kid has peanut butter crackers for a snack and share with your kid?? WHAT IF you are out and about and turn youe head for a second and your kids new friend they just met somwhere is sharing their peanut snack with them? My point is you have to start teaching them as soon as you learn about their allergy whatever it may be, how important it is to there health and lively hood to make the right choices.. Im sorry but they are in the school cafeteria for how long? Maybe.30-45 minutes? Anything can happen in that time frame! WHAT IF some kid brought a peaunt snack for lunch anyways and offers your kid some? You as a parent would hope that you taught your kid well enough about their allergy that they know that they can't have that snack.. God forbid they take it because than the parents would probably sue the school because of what happened to their kid... In the end not everyone can.stand over your or anyone elses child 24/7 to make sure they are not.exposed to anything harmful so people need to take the time to teach them.. Im sorry but this fight will

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting volcom6980:

What about kids who are highly allergic to bees or other things?? You can't make everything go away just to make sure your child is safe.. You have to teach them how important their allergy is and teach then how to protect themselves..

IF your kid was highly allergic to bees, and it was unsafe for them to go outside-the school would have to accomodate that. I am not sure why people donm't get the concept of reasonable accomodations.  Reasonable being financially reasonable.

If a school system has a 6 million dollar budget, hiring an aide for an hour, or having a kid with bee sting allergies  stay in the lunch room or office during recess isn't too expensive of an accomodation.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Slindsey137
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Im not even going to read all of this one. Last one of these I posted on I was told that even peanuts on your breath could cause a severe allergic reaction. I often give my kids peanut butter for breakfast. If Im in a hurry, its quick and it will keep them going for a while. If your child is that severly allergic to a food, they ought to go to a special school. Its not even about whats fair for my kid during the school day. Im not going to ban a food from my HOUSE because a kid MIGHT have an allergy to it. Sometimes life sucks, and if you are born with an allergy like that, you had better learn to deal early!

Mommy to two beautiful babies and three furbabies!

pj2becca21
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 4:50 AM

Why are kids sharing lunches??? and if it is a bully I hope he enjoys that damn Pb&j and the allergic reaction to it. 

Shadow_Walker
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 4:55 AM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

Blah, blah blah. Teach your child, end of story.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shadow_Walker
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 5:01 AM
or.. If your kids THAT allergic.. Homeschool THEM because others kids should have the right to attend school and not have their diets dictated because of the few kids who are allergic.

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Like I stated, some kids are real finicky. There are other solutions to the problem besides just banning peanut products all together. Its not just peanut butter. Why not separate the kids with allergies at lunch? Have the child or children with allgeries eat at a seperate table or in a seperate room. and make kids who eat any peanut product wash their hands right after they eat. No, its instead easier to ban it all together and make the rest of the school change their lunch routine for a small hand full of students.

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree to a point. There are lots of schools that are peanut free. I think if your gonna move somewhere when you have a kid with a peanut allergy you should do your research and know what schools in that area are peanut free schools. Not just expect any and all schools you child attends to change to suit them. I don't think its fair that all the other kids should suffer because of others allergies.

A child isn't going to suffer for not having a peanut butter sandwich. A child WITH allergies, WILL suffer though ... 

Its not that simple. Ok so they seperate the kids. Hmmm little Johnny who OMG cant eat anything but peanut butter, eats his sandwich, and goes and leaves the lunch room. Goes back to class, NOT washing his hands. He goes and sharpens his pencils, uses the classroom bucket of markers, plays on the computer ..... all the while spreading peanut oil to every thing. That yes some kids can STILL have a reaction to. If your kid is THAT picky and cant eat other stuff, home school them. Kids with allergies have a RIGHT just like other kids to be able to go to school. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Quoting volcom6980:

Obviously you dont understand what I am saying.. You can't protect them everywhere, that is why it is your job as a parent to teach them how serious their allergy is.. What about when you go to the park and.someone has peanuts for a snack or your walking in the grocery store and a kid has peanut butter crackers for a snack and share with your kid?? WHAT IF you are out and about and turn youe head for a second and your kids new friend they just met somwhere is sharing their peanut snack with them? My point is you have to start teaching them as soon as you learn about their allergy whatever it may be, how important it is to there health and lively hood to make the right choices.. Im sorry but they are in the school cafeteria for how long? Maybe.30-45 minutes? Anything can happen in that time frame! WHAT IF some kid brought a peaunt snack for lunch anyways and offers your kid some? You as a parent would hope that you taught your kid well enough about their allergy that they know that they can't have that snack.. God forbid they take it because than the parents would probably sue the school because of what happened to their kid... In the end not everyone can.stand over your or anyone elses child 24/7 to make sure they are not.exposed to anything harmful so people need to take the time to teach them.. Im sorry but this fight will

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting volcom6980:

What about kids who are highly allergic to bees or other things?? You can't make everything go away just to make sure your child is safe.. You have to teach them how important their allergy is and teach then how to protect themselves..

IF your kid was highly allergic to bees, and it was unsafe for them to go outside-the school would have to accomodate that. I am not sure why people donm't get the concept of reasonable accomodations.  Reasonable being financially reasonable.

If a school system has a 6 million dollar budget, hiring an aide for an hour, or having a kid with bee sting allergies  stay in the lunch room or office during recess isn't too expensive of an accomodation.

Of course you teach your child. BUT A SCHOOL SETTING is pretty much the only time a child that young is not  DIRECTLY supervised.

In the grocery store, at the park, in a restaurant, you the parent is there-WATCHING your child.  At a friend's house, the OTHER parent would be there, WATCHING your child.  I have had many birthday parties with my kids. Most parents leave. The parents of kids with allergies are the ones who tend to stay.  Many times they bring their own foods. I embarrassed some poor Mother when I showed her the peanut free cupcakes I had made for her son (I knew he had allergies) and she had brought her own, and apologetically insisted he eat those-not that she didn't trust me, but that she was just paranoid. You could see she was mortified to be insisting, and I really felt for her-how do you trust that a virtual  stranger didn't make a mistake that could kill your child?

I have worked the school lunch room.  100 kids. Couple of older student volunteers, ONE teacher-one AIDE and a parent or two. Your job is to get condiments if they forgot, open milk cartons and thermos and packages the kids can't open-get them napikins, help with spills, split up foights, urge them to finish their meals...you don't do a thing with the majority of the kids.

There is a table with the SN kids who need to be fed. EACH child has an Aide to feed or assit them. Higher functioning SN kid are helped by the children at their table ( inclusion remember)  I suppose the school could hire an AIDE to be with each allergic child. But at a cost of about $500-$700 a week, going peanut free is a damn sight cheaper.....

SpnFulOfSugar
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
My son has a peanut allergy, he is almost 7 and smart/responsible enough to take responsibility for his allergy and diet. He knows what he can and cannot eat. He knows not to touch/eat other children's food. We keep/eat peanut butter in our house why would I expect hundreds of other children to cater to my child. That is ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)