Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do some poor people live this way?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 102 Replies
1 mom liked this

Just a couple of observations that I've never quite figured out. 

This is about my cousin.  She and her kids  ALWAYS wear Ralph Lauren, they walk around with Coach purses, only the most expensive shoes, etc., but I KNOW they can't afford this.  The mother is an uneducated,  single mother with 2 kids  (divorced once and does get a little child support for one kid) and is a receptionist.  They get medicaid, housing assistance, food stamps, child care help, and some sort of welfare money.  Her parents weren't this way at all, and neither are her brothers. 

My question is, why does she live this way?  I can very much afford to "live" better than we do but we believe it's more important to save for education and retirement than to buy more expensive things.  I've tried to impress upon her the importance of saving and budgeting, but I don't think she really cares.  

I see other people doing this too and wonder, what are they thinking?  Do they really not care that much?  Do they not think about a "rainy day" and what they would do then?

*Edited to add story of other cousin on page 2 of post...

I have this other cousins who is just as repulsive as this one. She works and they aren't on any kind of assistance, but every dime of her paycheck is spent on her personally. She drives a really nice car, gets her hair done professionally all the time, nail...mani/pedi, huge wardrobe of expensive clothes, etc. Her HUSBANDS paycheck pays for everything in the home, utilities, insurance, and everything for the two kids. She won't take her girls shopping, (husband has to do that or MIL gets them things on yard sales) and her husband even cuts the girls hair to save money. She even goes out on weekends without them to do lunch and shop with friends. (Thats how I know this stuff, she told me and thinks its funny and she deserves it)  Even when she talks she never talks about her kids, it's just about HER and HER VACATION and where she is going and what she is doing.  (she goes on vacation alone)

Needless to say, I have some interesting relatives.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by SakePrincess on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe it makes them feel better to think they can have what they perceive others as having?

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this
She is one of the reasons I despise people on public assistance. I feel like most of them cheat the system.
littleacorn
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't know. I've never cared about all that crap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kybelle
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

To some people it's all about appearances. 

2littledaisies
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM
6 moms liked this

Ralph Lauren can be found at TJ maxx or Marshalls on the cheap sometimes... The purses could easily be knock offs also.  I never really pay attention to what other people buy though, its their money their problem. 

Mommavieve
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM
3 moms liked this
I would assume *some* people are on PA because they've made a habit of making poor decisions.

PLEASE NOTE: I said SOME, not all or even most.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angie729
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I wonder HOW they live that way. They need help with food, medical and housing yet can afford those things?

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk. I'm cheap. Some things I'll buy brand name like Nike's for my boy because they don't wear out as quick as cheap shoes but unless I'm getting a huge deal I'm perfectly fine with cheap stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemikris82
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM

like a pp said, tj maxx, thrift stores, sale items, gifts, you can save up your money.  amazon.com has stuff cheap if you get lucky. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Some people don't have the right priorities. Some people get the name brands used or they could be fakes. You never know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)