Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel like a bad mom. I called poison control.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I feel horrible. I was cleaning up a spill and my dd climbed up on the couch and grabbed the pedia lax suppositories and ran into her room with them. She squeezed one and a little hot on her arm, the lids were still on though so I didn't think she swallowed any. I still freaked and called poison control. They said if she did swallow any it would be fine it would just make her go poop in the next few hours because it would take longer then used the normal way. I still feel like shit though. I couldn't stop crying. If I had just put them straight in the cabinet after using one then this would not have happened.
Has anyone ever had to call poison control?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Replies (81-90):
JustCJ
by ~yeerp~ on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:49 PM

When my now 19 yo was about two my father in law gave me some advil in a baggie to take home because I was out. Well I had them in my room she had gotten them there were 3 left from 10-12. I called poison control and they said she would have to ingested 14 for them to even be concerned. Freaked me the hell out. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Quoting bellawomen:

Yup, 4 days after my son turned 2. My son superglued his eyes completely shut.

He fell asleep at my inlaws, so my husband and I took the opportunity to finish some Christmas shopping and left him with my inlays. I came back to get him and noticed white gunk around his eyes. I immediately thought infection and went to clean his eyes to check him out. It wouldn't come off and suddenly my mil screamed and ran to her room and she came out crying and holding a empty tube of super glue stuck to something. Just so you know...superglue is fine in your eyes lol. They told us ER was not needed, but we went anyway. He had to went saline soaked patches for 10 days until all the glue came off and just wath. So none went in his eye so it didn't scratch his cornea.

Oh I would of had a heart attack.
she_walk_softly
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM
I had to call for deorderant for my son and gum for the dog.(yes poison control is for pets too)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Yes. My son got into my Excedrin migraine bottle. He somehow undid the childproof cap. I didn't know how many were in the bottle to start with and he had white on his tongue and mouth. I called his pedi. They told me to call poison control. Poison control told me to go the ER and send info ahead to get DS in right away (aspirin, acetominephin and caffeine are all dangerous for little ones). They did blood tests and gave him charcoal as a pre-emptive measure. It ended up DS had ingested some of the meds, but not enough to cause harm.

I'm still very grateful for poison control and the very calm and helpful man who took my call. Things can and do happen quickly and it doesn't mean you're a bad parent. DS was alone for about 2 minutes when he got into the bottle of Excedrin.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:51 PM
If you've had to call them multiple times then I would say time to reevaluate but once is not a huge deal. Your kid is okay and you've learned to remember to put stuff away right?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

I think I might be the horrible mom bc I would have no clue how to call poin control! Is it a national # like 911 or is it different for each town?

A lot of containers or boxed have the number on it but I actually got on the internet and typed number for poison control.
nautired
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I called because my youngest came up to me with an empty travel bottle of baby shampoo in his mouth. I don't know where he got it he was playing with his 9 year old brother in his room. I called they said it wouldn't do anything just maybe throw up give him plenty to drink. I don't think he drank it though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids732
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Babe, its ok... thats why they are there!! I havent had to call but I am sure someday I will, my lil man gets into everything!! :) no worries!!

opal10161973
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Once for the middle child for possibly taking one of GMa's Hormone replacement pills. She hadn't had a LO at her house in years and childproof caps really aren't that childproof.  He would have been fine, we think he only licked one and then spit it out, but even if he took one, he would have been fine.  He was caught fairly quickly.

Last time was when DD decided that the color tablets for the easter eggs looked like candy and ate them.  These are non toxic and apparently, the lady on the phone said she gets flooded with calls every spring.  LOL

cLanief
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM
at least you called poison control instead of rushing to the ER. I did.. Well my xh. he got a hold of zyrtec.. I had no idea how many were in the bottle before or if he's actually eaten any but there was one a little chewed on. We rushed there, checked in, saw the check in nurse who decided to just call poison control bahahhahahaahhha we learned It would have taken over the amount in the whole bottle to affect my kid. Good to know!
And no we didnt stay after learning that. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)