Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OMG it isnt about sharing!!

Posted by   + Show Post

OK CAPTAIN MY SPARKLE PENCIL.....  You are now in charge of 20 eight year olds.  You say... get out your scissors. What do you think is faster? Having those 20 kids pawing through their desks of varying degrees of cleanliness or plunking down the communal bucked and saying, come get a pair"???????

I asked parents to spend an average of less than $2 a month on school supplies.  Stop bitching.  Want fancy pencils and sharpeners shaped like pikachu?  Well there is always homework.  Use them at home when you do your assignments.  Nobody is saying you cant have a freaking one direction folder.  Im just asking you to keep it at home. 

No wonder kids are getting harder to manage.  Their parents are a bunch of spoiled brats!

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Replies (251-260):
Wyldbutterfly
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:21 AM

When it comes to jump drives and 150 dollar calculators, it gets quite expensive for that school year. Then to have to share on top of it. No, I just can't.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Quoting MountieMama:

I wonder if it would be easier if teachers just ordered supplies and asked for money from the parents?

You would still have some parents who either don't have the money or refuse to send it because they want to buy their kid their own supplies.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Excatly. My son needs another jump drive this year, actually he'll probably use 2 again. It says right on his list he needs one, also an inexpensive calculator. Who else is going to be using his jump drive if the supplies are communal? I don't want anyone using it especially since it plugs into our home computer too.

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

When it comes to jump drives and 150 dollar calculators, it gets quite expensive for that school year. Then to have to share on top of it. No, I just can't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TurtleSquish:

yeah no. I had my own school supplies when I was a kid, none of the "sharing" supplies crap, and it wasn't an issue in any of the classrooms I was in. I would even share the nice thigns I had with my classmates.

kids are spoiled brats now because people mollycoddle them and make everything "fair" when in reality, nothing is fair. (except the local fair)

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Or the parents who supply the 25 cents crayons and expect the 'community' to provide the 50 dollar jump drive for their kid(s).

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting MountieMama:

I wonder if it would be easier if teachers just ordered supplies and asked for money from the parents?

You would still have some parents who either don't have the money or refuse to send it because they want to buy their kid their own supplies.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MountieMama
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Very true. It's a wonder though, that it isn't in the schools budget to pay for those. Add $5 a year to everyone's property tax...

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting MountieMama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 32 on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM
This.

Whatever happened to the kids being able to have their own supplies?

Teaches them to be responsible with their stuff.

I can understand glue and scissors being shared but some things should just stay with the kids.

Quoting SerpentsKiss:

I am so glad that when I went to school, my school supplies were mine. Scissors and glue were supplied by the teacher. My pencils, notebooks, and other stuff were mine.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Quoting MountieMama:

I don't know what it's like where you live, but where I live the schools are in big trouble financially. Teachers are being laid off left and right. It is going to take a lot more than $5 a year to straighten things out.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM

LOL ok then.  The last year I was a teacher I had 36 fourth graders.  8 spoke no english.  1 had brittle bone disease and was in a wheelchair.  12 of them were unmedicated but diagnosed ADHD (I suspect it was likely FAS after meeting the parents).  1 had EDD and was violent.  It was public school, we take all and above 3rd grade you dont get a para to help.  None of my kids qualified for pull out help because they were so low functioning they didnt think they could help them.  The gap between the current ability and potential was not very large.  

I did things to make my life easier, Like kept certain supplies out of the hands of the kids.  THey were not being treated like babies but in public schools we take all.  Its not like the school where my kids go either.  In my kids school im guessing average income is $300,000 a year.  We simply do not have the issues faced in the school I taught in.  Teachers in affluent areas have more time to teach kids to respect materials and keep track of things.  I barely had time to do the basics.  Im not dealing with the scissors issue.  I will just hold on to them until the kids need them.  

SO many parents say, "when I was a kid, or in my kids school...."  Things are different now,  Testing sucks but it also makes teachers step up.  The "bad kids" could just get ignored till they dropped out.  Now teachers actually teach them.  

Quoting Elyce225:

Ok. My sons's 7th grade list was already posted. I must say, since there is a lot on his list and not just. .25 cents pensils etc. But things like drives and what not, i would be very upset if the specific list I was told to bring in for my son was used for someone else. Now every year we buy extra. (Omg I love back to school time at Target, when I see crayons, colored pencils, siccors etc on sale I go crazy). I probaly buy about 4 years worth of material so I have it throughtout the year. _ When I donate that stuff I don't care how it's used. Not once has my son had a problem in school about his supplies or what was on it. The school gives the basic (get a hard pencil case), the children are allowed and should be allowed to get whatever one they want. I would be pretty annoyed if my child was at a school where getting scissors out of their own desk was such an ordeal that there had to be a communal bin to make things easier. Luckily we've never had any kinds of problems like that in his school. They don't treat the kids as babies at all, they are very strict.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting Elyce225:

I have a question for the OP or the other teachers on this board.

How is it decided whether there is a list of supplies to go home for the upcoming year or if there is a communal box of supplies?  Do teachers have their own meetings and come to a conclusion within the school or does the PTA also have a say?

It depends on the school.  I taught for a very poor district in CA (the students, not the school, we had funding) and we provided everything.  We were not allowed to ask them to bring supplies.  Other schools meet by grade level and decide and still others leave it up to each teacher.  

The PTA has never had power on the teacher or school policy in any school I have taught at.  They mainly do fundraisers to buy smart boards and such.  I would say the school board would be the one to have power over a teacher. 

LoganAndKennedy
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here lol I fully agree on this one!! :)

Quoting arpazia:

I think this is the first time I have ever agreed with you.

So very true!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)