Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OMG it isnt about sharing!!

Posted by   + Show Post

OK CAPTAIN MY SPARKLE PENCIL.....  You are now in charge of 20 eight year olds.  You say... get out your scissors. What do you think is faster? Having those 20 kids pawing through their desks of varying degrees of cleanliness or plunking down the communal bucked and saying, come get a pair"???????

I asked parents to spend an average of less than $2 a month on school supplies.  Stop bitching.  Want fancy pencils and sharpeners shaped like pikachu?  Well there is always homework.  Use them at home when you do your assignments.  Nobody is saying you cant have a freaking one direction folder.  Im just asking you to keep it at home. 

No wonder kids are getting harder to manage.  Their parents are a bunch of spoiled brats!

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Replies (31-40):
FL2AK
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM
As a parent I agree with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember as a K student I hated the communal supplies.  Sure, I got all the generic stuff to toss in the bin.  And I kept my special stuff at home.

But to me, there was nothing worse than getting stuck with the crappy communal stuff.  I was small and soft spoken, so the aggressive kids beat me to the bucket, grabbed the whole crayons, proceeded to break them to bits.  Grabbed the good scissors, treated them like crap.  Grabbed the full glue, made "glue hands."  Tore contstruction paper, but only took full sheets.  Etc!  And I always got stuck with these bits and pieces.  Load of crap.

I have no problems contributing to the communal buckets.  I completely understand with a bunch of kids stuff gets broken.

I DO have problems with parents who don't teach their kids to respect stuff.  Teachers who don't stop these kids from breaking and wasting, who don't monitor to make sure no one kid is stuck with NOTHING but small crayon bits or all markers with the tips stuffed down into the nub so it barely writes...

And if the communal buckets get bad, as they do sometimes, just send home a note asking for an extra donation.  I'll gladly send more of anything in so my kids don't have to deal with trying to use broken or abused supplies!

Heck, last year I sent my son's preschool a few of those kits where you can melt broken crayons into new and exciting swirly or mixed ones.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Oh. My. God. Right? Seriously, parents can be a bunch of complaining, spoiled brats!

arpazia
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Lmao! I'm sorry. That's gross.
Sometimes it's easier to just pass stuff out.

Quoting manda-nicole010:

Well I don't really see how that makes it easier. 

When it came to school supplies I had issues with using others (which we didn't have to but occasionally we would play a game where we switched desks and had to use the eraser or pencil that was there) and it would gross me out. Some kids chew on pencils, erasers, scissors, etc. With mine, I knew what it had touched and that no one had tried to eat it.

Quoting arpazia:

Why is it about what makes the teachers life easier?

I'm guessing because they have to deal with all of those kids.

Why not make it easier?

Quoting manda-nicole010:

So, why is it all about what makes the teacher's life easier? I don't see anything wrong with that cute pencil or the decorative folder. 

I also don't see anything wrong with expecting your child to use what you paid for rather than some other child paying for it.

I don't get what is the big deal with just keeping your own stuff and expecting other parents to get their kids their own stuff. We never shared in any of the classrooms I was in and there were never any problems.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
manda-nicole010
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree. I'm not against buying an extra box of cheap pencils or tissue or erasers or glue and donating them to the class for those who don't have any but if I want to buy my daughter a personalized set of cute pencils... I am going to and they are hers. 

I'm planning on homeschooling though so I doubt I'll ever have to worry about it lol

Quoting TurtleSquish:

This.

why is it other people's responsibility to make sure all the kids have everything? my parents bought me stuff...my favorite part of going back to school was picking out my school stuff.

Now, I'm not really against picking out some stuff for classroom use. (like every kid's parent supples tissues, hand sanitizer or bags) but I'm not about to buy school supplies for other children. At least when my parents dropped 125 bucks on school supplies, i started the next year with scissors and other things.

Quoting manda-nicole010:

So, why is it all about what makes the teacher's life easier? I don't see anything wrong with that cute pencil or the decorative folder. 

I also don't see anything wrong with expecting your child to use what you paid for rather than some other child paying for it.

I don't get what is the big deal with just keeping your own stuff and expecting other parents to get their kids their own stuff. We never shared in any of the classrooms I was in and there were never any problems.  

Follow my blog to read about my second pregnancy and the crazy, chaos that will be sure to happen with a toddler and a pregnancy! Toddler + Pregnancy = Chaos You can also follow my other blog about my first daughter at Everything Emeny

manda-nicole010
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM

What's gross?

Quoting arpazia:

Lmao! I'm sorry. That's gross.
Sometimes it's easier to just pass stuff out.

Quoting manda-nicole010:

Well I don't really see how that makes it easier. 

When it came to school supplies I had issues with using others (which we didn't have to but occasionally we would play a game where we switched desks and had to use the eraser or pencil that was there) and it would gross me out. Some kids chew on pencils, erasers, scissors, etc. With mine, I knew what it had touched and that no one had tried to eat it.

Quoting arpazia:

Why is it about what makes the teachers life easier?

I'm guessing because they have to deal with all of those kids.

Why not make it easier?

Quoting manda-nicole010:

Follow my blog to read about my second pregnancy and the crazy, chaos that will be sure to happen with a toddler and a pregnancy! Toddler + Pregnancy = Chaos You can also follow my other blog about my first daughter at Everything Emeny

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I dont know how other teachers do it but with things like folders the kids do keep the ones they brought but I ask for 1 solid red, one solid blue, etc because they are color coded.  blue is for math.. etc.  Its a classroom management thing for me.  Pencils?  the fancy ones often dont sharpen well, the lead is off center and the kids spend too much time messing with them at the sharpener.  I ask for Ticonderoga because the are the best quality and very cheap. If its something they use daily it stays with them.  If its something like pencils I give them 3 at a time and hold on to the rest.  Things like glue, scissors, markers get played with so I hold on to those in a communal bucket.  I ask for the same brands of all of these, they are all the same so it shouldnt matter which glue stick is yours.  The elmers lasts longest and doesnt dry out so it is my choice.  

I do have reasons to keep some things in storage and it has nothing to do with kids buying for other kids. Its about reducing distractions and making sure they have what they need and only what they need. 

Quoting manda-nicole010:

illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Why can't we just teach kids to stay organized? Spend 2 min at the end of the day to sort their desks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I think its just about money. People are cheap and don't want to buy all the supplies and they use the reasoning of "sharing".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM
You're a teacher? That's so scary. Poor kids. Still wish more parents wouldn't vax because of dwindling resources? Yet your primary job is teaching children? Oh the irony.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN