Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

for parents that believe it controlled crying

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 447 Replies
8 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Do you believe in CIO

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 441

View Results

How do you do that to the baby you carried for nearly 10 months? You wanted this child so much and now you force it into a dark room to settle itself? I am well aware of what CIO (Cry It Out - what a cold term) means and how its done, I myself looked into it before we had our first.

The cold hard facts are there. Babies are meant to cry. It their way of telling you something isn't right, even if it is just "I want to be held" are you that wrapped up in routines and being in control to push your baby away? To deny your child a hug, to be rocked to sleep?

I Co-sleep as you probably tell, I do not roll on my child and never have. Co-sleeping REDUCES the chances of SIDS. My baby will follow my breathing patterns, our heart rates beat the same tune - we are are one still.

Leaving a baby to cry evokes physiological responses that increase stress hormones. Crying infants experience an increase in heart rate, body temperature and blood pressure. These reactions are likely to result in overheating and, along with vomiting due to extreme distress, could pose a potential risk of SIDS in vulnerable infants.There may also be longer-term emotional effects. There is compelling evidence that increased levels of stress hormones may cause permanent changes in the stress responses of the infant's developing brain. These changes then affect memory, attention, and emotion, and can trigger an elevated response to stress throughout life, including a predisposition to later anxiety and depressive disorders.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommynMonster
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM
11 moms liked this

Its done to fit a child into an adults schedule and to teach the baby that they need to rely on themselves for security, not an adult.

militarywife09
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM
9 moms liked this
Uhhhh no. It's done becuase my one year old will not go to sleep unless we lay her down in her crib, and let her fuss. Way to make ignorant blanket statements.

Quoting MommynMonster:

Its done to fit a child into an adults schedule and to teach the baby that they need to rely on themselves for security, not an adult.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vinalex0581
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM

i was going to post something about this.

i read an article on this and i don't know how to think of this

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM
4 moms liked this

How is that fare to a baby? they are here for us to care for not to figure out how to care for themselves. I feel very sad for those little souls.

Quoting MommynMonster:

MommynMonster
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM

A 1 year old isnt really a baby, and yes, its done to keep a schedule and to teach them to self soothe. How is that an ignorant blanket statement?

Quoting militarywife09:

Uhhhh no. It's done becuase my one year old will not go to sleep unless we lay her down in her crib, and let her fuss. Way to make ignorant blanket statements.

Quoting MommynMonster:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

my 2 year old is the same but I do not leave him in his bed to go to sleep alone. I lay with him for hours if I have too.

Quoting militarywife09:

Quoting MommynMonster:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

How can you inflict such a sanctimommy on your own child?

militarywife09
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Becuase you're assuming I'm doing it for me. I'm not. I'm doing it so SHE can get a good night of sleep.

Quoting MommynMonster:

A 1 year old isnt really a baby, and yes, its done to keep a schedule and to teach them to self soothe. How is that an ignorant blanket statement?

Quoting militarywife09:

Quoting MommynMonster:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kemmerer411
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM
13 moms liked this
Whatever. I have always done "CIO" although until recently I never knew the name for it. Sometimes kids have to fuss... At least mine do. Not as an infant and not for hours on end.

Get over it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I hate the term 'belive in'....do i believe in it? Yes, i have seen that it is a real thing, thus i believe in it. Do i practice it? I abhor cio. It hurts my heartt to hear my baby girl cry, but sometimes, she has to. Smetimes, she wants to do things she cant. At that point, i hold her and comfort her while she cries.
My life revolves around my children, but sometimes parents can lose in other areas of life if their life revolves around theirs. Some of those parents have no choice. I will not judge, though i feel it is wrong. I do not know every intimate detail of everyone's lives, and i am sure no one gets pleasure heari g their child cry.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)