Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My cousin is marrying my best friend's ex-fiance.  Long story short, she used to be best friends with my friend as well, but stomped all over their friendship as soon as she found out our friend broke off the engagement (he was unwilling to move an hour away for her).

My cousin asked this friend if it was okay if she went out with her ex-fiance- friend said "No" but my cousin didn't listen and blah blah history, they're not friends anymore.

I should add that this guy dated a whole circle of my cousin's friends- including me a long time ago- before he decided to date her.  He called her "obsessive" and "pathetic", to name a few things.  

I don't agree with their marriage(unless it's just to spite themselves, because they're both egotistical) and my cousin was pissed last summer because I said I didn't support her marriage, mainly because my cousin really hurt my friend (despite what some people say, family comes first, this isn't how it is with me and my cousin).  She was pissed off and she and her fiance said I wasn't invited to the wedding.

Fast forward a year to this past Friday.  My mom called to ask if I got an invitation.  I told her I hadn't.  My mom got one that says, "Aunt, Uncle, and Sons".  So she was wondering if I had gotten one.  My mom knows the whole story and thought it was rude to not send me one but I told her I really didn't care.  We started joking around about it, and she said, "Well, if you and your SO decide to get married, you know what to do then..."  And I said, as a smart ass, "Yep, send [them] an invitation to make them feel like assholes."  My mom and I laughed about it.

I thought it was funny and posted (without using names) the conversation on Facebook.  Most of my friends know what my cousin did and I had "lols" and "Likes" all around but someone decided to take it offensively and lectured me about "family being important" and my post being "immature" and that I shouldn't talk shit about other people on Facebook.  My cousin, whom I hadn't talked to in almost a year, texted me out of nowhere saying I was "talking badly" about her.

So, was I talking shit about her by saying I'll send her an invitation to make her and her new husband feel like assholes?

**edit**

Actual post from Facebook:

Mom: So, did you get a wedding invitation from "so and so"?
Me: Nope.
Mom: Well, then we're not going, it only says "Aunt, Uncle, and Sons".
Me: I don't care if you go.
Mom: If you and [SO's name] ever decide to, ya know...get married, you know what to do.
Me: Yep, send "so and so" an invitation to my wedding so they feel like an asshole.
Mom: Exactly!

I personally, don't feel like I was shit talking, mainly because I didn't actually call them any names.  I said so they FEEL like assholes- because that's what they should feel like.  I never said they WERE assholes, though.

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:38 AM
2 moms liked this

It was passive aggressive to say the least, and yes you were "shit talking" because you knew that people on facebook would see it and come to the obvious conclusions and thus think badly of her.

Maybe she is a bitch and you don't agree with her marriage, but it's not your marriage and since you don't even have a relationship I can't see how it affects you.

You would've been the bigger person had you not pointed out to all of facebook that you're the bigger person.

epoh
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:41 AM
Its not really shit talking but it is kind of petty. Id probably feel shitty about it if i was your cousin too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dlock25
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:41 AM
Yes you were shit talking. You knew they would know exactly who you were talking about and you did it to piss them off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:51 AM
No, you could of been 'shit-talking' about the 'mayor & his future wife' not 'family'.
IMO, some people should stfu & giggle a bit.

Take life too serious, some people will become 'hateful' A-holes when they're older.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I wouldn't say I'm hateful, but I do get annoyed with passive aggressive bullshit. If you're going to call someone out just call them out, quit being a coward.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, you could of been 'shit-talking' about the 'mayor & his future wife' not 'family'.

Take life too serious, some people will become 'hateful' A-holes when they're older.

marzbar
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:28 AM
Yup, it was sh!t talking. Why post it on Facebook?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:33 AM
It was very immature and petty to put the convo on Facebook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:19 AM
I'm not calling you 'hateful' I was talking about all people in general.
(god bless her bitchy annoying ax soul! I love my grandmom dearly but she was a REAL HATEFUL B' I CAN say that b/c I'm her granddaughter. She passed last year. But my grandmother hated everything & every-one!)
If people CAN'T smile or laugh it off, a lot of people will become more like my grandmom, a 'hateful" person.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't say I'm hateful, but I do get annoyed with passive aggressive bullshit. If you're going to call someone out just call them out, quit being a coward.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I'm all about laughing at yourself/situations. I also don't hate things just to hate them. I just didn't think this was funny, I think it was passive aggressive which is a big pet peeve of mine.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not calling you 'hateful' I was talking about all people in general.
(god bless her bitchy annoying ax soul! I love my grandmom dearly but she was a REAL HATEFUL B' I CAN say that b/c I'm her granddaughter. She passed last year. But my grandmother hated everything & every-one!)
If people CAN'T smile or laugh it off, a lot of people will become more like my grandmom, a 'hateful" person.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

.mrshallman.
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:24 AM
I would have done the same thing. I have a few "friends" like that Nd love to put them on
Blast. That is not shit talking, IMO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)