Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why can't minors buy lighters?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

We are at a beach house in NC and I was going to let the kids play with sparklers outside tonight. I couldn't find a lighter so I asked my brother to buy a pack from the 7/11 across the street. He came back and said they wouldn't sell them to him. They said when he told them he didn't know he had to be 18, they laughed at him and acted like he was lying about not knowing. 

My brother is 17 btw. I never knew minors couldn't buy lighters...I guess I can kind of see why but eh, its a little stupid imo.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Babujai
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM
A lighter is potentially explosive and also smoking paraphernalia. I've never heard it was illegal to sell lighters to minors, but I can see a store being safe instead of sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lydlou02
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM
It's not illegal as far as I know (not here anyway) but some stores choose to restrict their sales. Kinda how Walmart will card you for movies and cold medicine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM
yep they can't buy glue either or paint or cold meds or anything anymore
Jenn_14
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM
They dont sell because most ppl are not using them for any reason but to smoke, its like a procaution i guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

yep they can't buy glue either or paint or cold meds or anything anymore

Glue? O_o I knew about the spray paint and cold meds...but glue. Wow.

keriley1
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I used to buy them all the time when I was under 18. I did smoke at the time but also I am a candle freak and always have been even before smoking. I never had a problem and when working at a grocery store I was never told we couldn't sell lighters to minors.

emandab
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Well kids like to play with fire I guess.  lol I got carded (I'm 32 btw) a few months back because I lost my lighter and I was on an hour long drive and I wanted to light my cigarette (the car lighter doesn't work).  I didn't even think about getting carded for a lighter I had to run back out to the car to get my id.  It was no big deal I thought it was kind of funny.

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I do recall lighters being like gold in High School lol we held onto those suckers. I didn't know that under 18 they couldn't buy them. I can see it though... teens cause a lot of trouble arson, drugs, smoking all things they shouldn't be doing at all or until 18 (smoking).

singletiredmom
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM
I was with my 16 yr old ds a few weeks ago and he bought a drink with a top that u need a bottle opener for. It was some limited edition something or other. He tried to buy a bottle opener and they wouldn't let him. They said he needed to be 18. He just handed it over his shoulder to me and I bought it. It was odd, I thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karla1948
by VS 120 Lady on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I also didn't think selling lighters to minors is illegal.

Me, I like the push-button types. They cost more than Bics, but since I keep my nails long, they're much easier to use. But if I buy a Bic, it has to be a full-size, not a mini.  Regardless which I'm using, I always try to carry two. My experience has been, lighters fail at the worst possible of times; the spark wheel freezes, or something inside breaks. When I want a cigarette, I want one NOW!

Back to the minor thing, sometimes I wind up getting Bic lighters that happen to come with child tamper resistant springs. I hate those! When my d/h was around, he was the greatest at taking a small screwdriver and needlenose pliers and removing the spring, made the lighter a lot easier to use.

Advertising Banner Designs - Only $9.00

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)