Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

3 Year Old Left In Bath?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So, I will admit. I do leave my 3 year old in the bath for a few minutes at a time unattended.

He is old enough to not topple over and drown, and he knows not to stand up while in the tub.

Well my mom was over here, and I got up because I had forgotten his clothes in my room. My room is next to the bathroom.

She started going off about how I leave my baby unattended in the bath, and saying he could drown.

I do not leave him unattended all the time he is in there, just a few minutes here and there. He can't wash his own hair yet and I re-wash his body and re-brush his teeth so I am in there most of the time with him.

I do not care what she thinks, he will be fine for the few minutes at a time I leave the room to do whatever.

Anyone else leave their 3 year old in the tub?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
kris1stbaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I will run out of the bathroom to grab a towel if I forget it but I'm never gone for too long. If anyone is here with me I'll ask them to grab it but that's not always going to happen. In our last house our bedroom was right across from his bathroom so I could play on the computer while he played in the tub and still be able to see him. He would stay in the tub for 30minutes at a time and I got bored sitting there :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, make sure you come back here and let us know how crushed you are when your three year old drowns.

Cara5
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

At 3 she spent plenty of time out of my direct line of sight in the tub, but she was never our of ear shot.  Even now at 4 1/2, if I cant hear splashing and playing, I go check. 

andersongirl562
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM
No but I did leave her in there with a sibling!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livn4hevn
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Ya... I mean, I didn't do it very often at three, but that was the start of the transition for us... into showering/bathing alone. I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old... when they take showers TOGETHER they are pretty much alone.

I think either of them could easily handle a bath by themselves...except that they make huge messes.

I think it's fine at three to let them splash a bit unattended... as long as you're close and you peek in regularly. And of course, don't fill the tub too high

ATALHEA
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I also did the singing thing around the time they were 3 and older. If I had to go out to get clothes or forgot the towel or something I would sing with them so I could hear them and know they were ok

Palindromeda
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

I did, I made them sing so I could hear them, they are 19 & 15 now........

OMG I am so glad I'm not the only one who did this. I will admit, however, I didn't start this until my DD was about 5. It's simply because I have always had this irrational fear of her drowning.

MurphyTTC
1 mom liked this
I do the same thing!!! Dh thought I was insane. But with the new baby here I sometimes HAVE to tend to her while they bathe. So I make whichever kid is taking a bath sing! I have a 5 and 2 yo. And 4 month old but she takes a shower or bath with me so...

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

I did, I made them sing so I could hear them, they are 19 & 15 now........

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM
I did my kids hated getting out of the tub.. so most the time the bathroom door was left open and i sat in the chair at the end of the hall so i could see what thay where doing.. and thay would yell when that where ready to get out...
Danita42
I started doing in recently but our place is small. When I leave him in there I am in our room or his room (which are both next to the bathroom) cleaning up. I leave the door wide open and he is very loud when he pkays in the tub so I can always hear him. I would never go to the kitchen and do dishes or go outside for anything though.
CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)