Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I continue to let my son wear makeup?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been wondering something lately...

My son always hangs out with me in the bathroom while I get ready for work.  He watches me put my makeup on and do my hair and waits patiently for his turn.  I stand him on the toilet and I spray his bed head down with water and detangler and begin styling him.  While I do this he likes to take my blush brush and blush and do what I do.  He puts it on his cheeks just like me. 

He is 3 and he hates getting his hair styled. This is the reason I let him use my blush...it distracts him and I can do his hair without him fussing about it. 

He gets butt hurt when I wipe it off...so I let him wear it...

Past month my son has been going to daycare wearing blush.  It isn't noticeable cause his cheeks are rosy anyway...

Im kinda torn though...

should I let this go on?  Is it harmless?  Am I confusing him? 

It doesn't bother me but I can't help but wonder what the long term effect might be if any.  I haven't let my husband in on this, he was upset enough when he saw that I let our 3 year old paint his fingernails. 

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Replies (51-60):
Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Quoting Matriarch87:

I honestly hadn't even thought of the whole, "your too young for makeup"...My mom let me run around in makeup for as long as I could remember so that "rule" hadn't even occured to me.  lol...

If I do decide to make him stop that is what I will focus on.  I dont want to get into the "you are a boy act like it" crapola.  Ill just be like, "Your too young to wear makeup..."

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

I don't let my 3 and 7 year old girls wear makeup. Let alone one of my boys.

I don't let mine wear makeup out of the house because they are too young 7 and 6 but I let them play in it when I'm putting some on. Sometimes I let them put makeup on me. It's fun. 

Cheryl_M
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Not a big deal at all.

sampson200
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Fuck yeah, let him get crazy with the makeup.

1. If you make it 'wrong' he'll either a) feel like shit or b) keep doing it in secret

2. Boys like makeup. It's normal.

3. You're not confusing him. If he's gay, he was born that way. Keeping makeup and stilletos out of reach won't work; he'll just go underground.

3 year olds don't understand gender stuff; he doesn't know, unless you keep telling him, that makeup is for girls only. All he knows is that it is 'dress up' and fun.

Let him keep it up.

He'll either quit on his own, or he'll be a faaaaaaaaabulous shopping partner in a few years.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:41 PM

To be honest up until now, I have sort of pretended I dont notice what he is doing...because of my uncertainty with it.  Today was the first time I tried to divert him from his path.  Instead of him putting it on himself I had him put it on me instead.  So he still got to play and mommy went to work looking like a whore.  lol...So I dont know if faking it with empty stuff would work. 

Quoting squag.mom:

I don't think it is a big deal. If anything can you give him a blush brush with no blush on it? Or does he need to dip it in the blush too?

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM

lol, thank you

Quoting sampson200:

Fuck yeah, let him get crazy with the makeup.

1. If you make it 'wrong' he'll either a) feel like shit or b) keep doing it in secret

2. Boys like makeup. It's normal.

3. You're not confusing him. If he's gay, he was born that way. Keeping makeup and stilletos out of reach won't work; he'll just go underground.

3 year olds don't understand gender stuff; he doesn't know, unless you keep telling him, that makeup is for girls only. All he knows is that it is 'dress up' and fun.

Let him keep it up.

He'll either quit on his own, or he'll be a faaaaaaaaabulous shopping partner in a few years.

Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally wouldn't

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
My son does the same thing. At three, they're little mimics. That's how they learn. Soon enough he will learn make-up isn't a boy thing. No sense in stuffing gender roles down A toddler's throat.
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM

It is fun!

Quoting Maevelyn:

Quoting Matriarch87:

I honestly hadn't even thought of the whole, "your too young for makeup"...My mom let me run around in makeup for as long as I could remember so that "rule" hadn't even occured to me.  lol...

If I do decide to make him stop that is what I will focus on.  I dont want to get into the "you are a boy act like it" crapola.  Ill just be like, "Your too young to wear makeup..."

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

I don't let my 3 and 7 year old girls wear makeup. Let alone one of my boys.

I don't let mine wear makeup out of the house because they are too young 7 and 6 but I let them play in it when I'm putting some on. Sometimes I let them put makeup on me. It's fun. 

MajorsMom8215
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

He just wants to be like mommy... if your husband doesn't like it tell him he should spend more time doing "manly" things with him. My oldest did the same.. he grew out of it. No harm done.

JNLmomme09
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

build a bear has one my daughter 7yrs and son 20 months both play with it. My son pretends to use blush, eye shadow and lipstick and fights with his sister over her pink pocketbook. A second later hes playing with trucks and dinos.  If its a toy I think that its fine, but it could be confusing because its really going on him?  I dont know does that helop or make sense

Quoting Anonymous:

Why not get a toy compact that *looks* like it has blush in it & give him the brush. Would he really know the difference?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN