Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Former spanking moms: when did you decide that spanking was not an effective way to punish your child(ren)?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

I'm just curious.  It seems like I'm encountering more and more "former spankers" in my life, and SURPRISE!!  Their children are not acting out more...they are not more disobediant.  In fact, the children seem to be obeying better than when they were being spanked. 

If you are a spanker and decide to respond, please don't be rude and nasty.  I'm not bashing spankers.  So there's no need to bash non-spankers. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Haven't quit.  It's effective when used properly and lovingly.

sugarbaby0610
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM
I only spank,if i've tried everything else and it still don't work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I think at a certain age like 5 spanking becomes useless anyway. I use to spank I have stopped not because I don't see a need for it he has just reached an age where other things work better now. My 8yr old dd was never spanked why because she never needed it.

shortcakes13
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM
When my first just laughed at me everytime I did it... I didn't like to spank her anyways... so that cleared up that problem... putting their noses to the wall is way more affective...for my kiddos anyways...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justgracie
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I spanked when I was a new mom years ago.  I finally decided I just don't believe in it.  I mean that in two ways-

First- I don't believe it's right

Second - I don't believe it works or is helpful.  We never spanked very much but there were always just so many better ways of handling things.

My younger kids have never been spanked and they are every bit as well behaved as the older ones who got spanked were.

My oldest son has some anger that I think made spanking a particularly bad idea for him.  I wish we hadn't ever spanked but I try to remind myself that when I knew better I did better.

To me spanking is kind of primitive and not effective.  I can send smoke signals to call my neighbor or I can call her on the phone.  Why waste time with something that is not effective when there are way better options.

raegan1221
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I haven't stopped. But that being said, I don't feel the need to spank that often. It's once in a blue moon that it's necessary. Overall my son is very well behaved and listens very well.

raegan1221
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol..that's how it was when I was little. My Mom would spank me, and I'd just laugh..in fact one time, I got caught telling my older sister to get spanked by Mom because it doesn't hurt at all..*giggle, giggle*. Lol.

Quoting shortcakes13:

When my first just laughed at me everytime I did it... I didn't like to spank her anyways... so that cleared up that problem... putting their noses to the wall is way more affective...for my kiddos anyways...

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN