Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this abusing the system to you CMers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I live in canada and ANYONE who has a child under the age of 4 gets a check every month most people its 100$  and we also get another check every month and that depends on how much you make. I get 340$ if your child is over the age of 4 you get a bit less. f you have more then one child you get more. NO I AM NOT ON WELFARE OR PA as you all call it.  my SO works to support me and our child.  so what do all you CMers think about that. would you bitch me out like you do the moms on PA

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Canada cares about its people more than the U.S. All we want is more money.

PeytonNBella
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM

It's a government program that applies to everyone with children, so no it's not PA

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM

IF it is means tested, it's PA.  So if EVERYONE in the country regardless of income gets the check, it's not PA. If you get less for more income, it's PA.

Let's compare that to say the dependent deduction in the US. On your taxes you can deduct a dependent. This is NOT income based, in fact the MORE you make, the more valuable that deduction is.

Now let's take a low income family earning 20K per year. They get to deduct each child-and these CHILDREN make them eligible for another up to $5000 in a REFUNDABLE tax credit

Here:

Tax Year 2011 maximum credit:

• $5,751 with three or more qualifying children
  • $5,112 with two qualifying children
  • $3,094 with one qualifying child
  • $464 with no qualifying children

So yes, it is PA, and something very similiar to it is available in the US.  You see how it would be about $400 per month is you had 2 kids right?

bearscubed
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Fuck, I want to go to Canada.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM
I never understood the Canada child tax thing. So every gets paid to have a child? That's pretty cool lol. But what is the purpose of it?

And no you're not abusing.
biancalina20
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Me too lets go! Lol

Quoting -__-:

I'm moving to Canada lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
biancalina20
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Same here! They just see how much u make but don't really see the actually bills!

Quoting Anonymous:

really well shit can you come help me pack and next question can we stay with you till we find a place ? lol we cant get assistance they say we make too much money but if they paid my bills on my husband income they would know its not enough just enough to get by and have a wee bit extra

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

First off, you're comparing two different countries so your logic is already flawed.  Second, you obvioulsy know zip about America so you shouldn't be talking about this at all.  Live here, pay your taxes, struggle and get no help at all, then watch some lazy ass jerk lie to get assistance and pop out kids like a Pez dispenser.  Then you might have a clue.  Also, the reason a lot of CMer's get heat for getting PA is that they are complaining they are broke and can't afford food yet are posting on the internet, which requires a computer or phone with  the internet, instead of looking for a job.  And no, I don't believe the vast majority are posting from a family member or friends home or even the library.  In some cases, they are even complaining they don't get enough aid.  So yeah, it's a bit irritating to read that crap.

biancalina20
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Medical insurance /expenses ..
Have me crazy!

Quoting LDavis33:

I thank my lucky stars to be Canadian.  I look at the American system and it makes me want to cry.  I cannot wrap my head around the fact that you have only 6 weeks leave when you have a baby.  I couldn't imagine leaving my baby in daycare and returning to work that soon.  It blows my mind.

I think that governments (not just in Canada, but everywhere) need to be more proactive in supporting our families.  Longer maternity/parental leaves, more family benefits, more financial and tax incentives for families with a stay-at-home-parent.

Don't get me started on your health-care system.  :)

Quoting Cheryl_M:

The US is pretty messed up when it comes to valuing it's children. If I could afford it, we'd move out of country.

Quoting LDavis33:

Canada is much the same.  Parents are entitled to one year total of maternity/parental leave.  While we don't receive 100% of our income while on leave, we do get a fair percentage of our pre-maternity income.

Of course, here you have to work so many hours prior to taking your leave before you can qualify (like unemployment insurance).  I am a SAHM to my DS 2 1/2 and am expecting baby no. 2.  Because I chose to stay home with my son, I will not qualify for any maternity/parental benefits this time around (although my husband could get the parental benefits if he chose to do so).

Quoting Cheryl_M:

No, I wouldn't bitch you out at all. Your country is run that way. In Sweden, every parent gets a year off with pay because they understand how important it is for parents to be home with thier children the 1st year!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Canada has a great system. I have a friend with 3 kids, but one is special needs, and she gets $2500 per month from the government because of those kids. 

I think the difference is that Canada hands that money out to everyone, where as in the US you only get benefits if you claim to be poor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured