Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I make him play???

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM
  • 19 Replies
I'm so torn as of what to do with my 7 year old, Justin. He is on the chunky side so last year we signed him for football. He has always done swimming and soccer but we wanted to try something different. Anyways, football was extremely tough on him. With the running 10 laps at a time in 90 degree weather, the helmets and pads, the late practices on school nights (practice was 5 days a week) and everything was just so hard and it was really hard for me to watch him go through that. Well I talked to the coach and he tells me that Justin this year would have to move up to the 9 and 10 year old group cuz of his weight. They do triple of what he did last year! Football was very good for him and taught him discipline and he lost some weight. But I feel that it is going to be too much for him but I don't want him to think he doesn't have to do it cause it might be too hard. Sorry so long but I don't know what to do. Dh thinks he should so just let me know what you think ladies. Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM
What does Justin want to do?
Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Well why doesn't Justin eat healthier all year long and run or walk every day? If he was doing that since last year he would have no problem doing what they need to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jadegirl1819
by Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I wouldn't have my 7 year old doing that kind of stuff in the heat.  There is no way I would move him up to the older division.  It doesn't seem like a safe idea.  I would double check with someone higher up than the coach to make sure the info is correct.  I wouldn't think they would really want to put a 7 year old to play with older kids.  Sounds like a safety issue.

Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Jennyanne322:Well why doesn't Justin eat healthier all year long and run or walk every day? If he was doing that since last year he would have no problem doing what they need to do.

Maybe his metabolism isn't quite right? Or maybe it is in his genetics?

It is always interesting when one mom starts by pointing a finger at the other mom...

I can't imagine he would be able to keep up with more strenuous training...maybe what he says? There are always other sports:)
KMadsen
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Have you asked Justin what he wants to do?

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM
If he did not want to play, I would not force him. Fine other sports.
myfive2012
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM

This is him last year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Audreysmommy123
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM

he's old enough to tell you if he wants to or not..i think swimming and soccer was great.. maybe how about baseball or something?

myfive2012
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Oh does all that. He's just a big kid like the doc says. He's extremely active just like any other 7 year old. We are an extremely active family and all my other children are normal weight.and he eats exactly what they eat. * shrugs*

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Well why doesn't Justin eat healthier all year long and run or walk every day? If he was doing that since last year he would have no problem doing what they need to do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:38 AM
I am not pointing fingers at anyone. I am talking from an athletes point of view. I played 2 division one sports in college and knowing that you age up in sports. You have to keep your body in shape all year long, not just the months that you are playing that sport.

Quoting Derari:

Quoting Jennyanne322:Well why doesn't Justin eat healthier all year long and run or walk every day? If he was doing that since last year he would have no problem doing what they need to do.

Maybe his metabolism isn't quite right? Or maybe it is in his genetics?

It is always interesting when one mom starts by pointing a finger at the other mom...

I can't imagine he would be able to keep up with more strenuous training...maybe what he says? There are always other sports:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)