Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Birth-Control Buffet: What's Your "Dish" of Choice?

Posted by   + Show Post

Sure, babies are cute! But we don't always want to chance making another one when we have sex with our partner.

With so many birth control methods out there - from condoms to diaphragms to permanent procedures (hello, vasectomy!) - it can be confusing to decide which is the best one for you.

Whether you definitely want to have more kids one day, aren't sure if you want to expand your family or not, or are 100% sure the shop is closed for business, you'll find out about all the options in this info-packed episode.

To help make your decision easier, check out the list of questions that starts about 7:20 into the video!

What birth control method do you use? Which ones have you tried and liked - and which ones would you never use again?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Replies (361-370):
Caitlyn137
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 4:14 AM
If it work then y am I pregnant ? Lol
AugustMidge
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 4:53 AM

Essure...is what is planned. Our newborn is only 20 some odd days old so we still have a bit to wait. 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

AugustMidge
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 4:54 AM

What are the brands you suggest? We need to use condoms for a few months after my Essure Procedure and both of us HATE THEM! 

Quoting Brandyns87:

Condoms. I don't have to worry about the hormones of other types of birth control making me crazy, and certain brands feel like nothing at all.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

LovableNeurotic
by Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Paragard, non hormonal and can't forget to use it lol Depo is a never again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeIsForLOLZ
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Implanon is a good choice, defo can't forget to take it and it's long lasting (3 yrs was it?)

the other one I recommend is condoms, (mostly to teenagers though as it also prevents STI's)

I don't think the failure rate is that high, atleast it doesn't have to be with a bit of know how, usually they fail when worn incorrectly (air pockets remain after rolling down because the tip wasn't held) or for too long (dry out) or when the lube used is incompatible ("Latex condoms damaged by oil-based lubricant") and melts them ect. Also Spermicidal types of condoms increase the effectiveness to over 95% of pregnancy prevention, so "If used correctly, male condoms are 98% (same rate as the pill) effective in preventing pregnancy. Female condoms are thought to be around 95% effective." -  http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Condoms-%28male-and-female%29/Pages/Introduction.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Contraception/Pages/Introduction.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Emergency-contraceptive-pill/Pages/Introduction.aspx

One's I personally wouldn't use are IUD or the IUS, theres something cringeworthy about them being foreign bodies up where the lady parts are sacred. But thats just me, if you wanna go for them and they work for you, then you go for it.

Quoting AubreeGrace17:

Implanon. I couldn't remember to take the pill, the depo doesn't last long enough, and condoms are only 85% effective.

Brandyns87
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Trojan Intense is the best. Magnums are good too, but they have a strong rubbery odor.

Quoting AugustMidge:

What are the brands you suggest? We need to use condoms for a few months after my Essure Procedure and both of us HATE THEM! 

Quoting Brandyns87:

Condoms. I don't have to worry about the hormones of other types of birth control making me crazy, and certain brands feel like nothing at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Copper iud can grow into lining and cause all types of issues. It does not keep you from conceiving but keeps from implanting. Unknown risks associated with that.

Quoting alissailly:

You can get heart attacks and whatever from b controll? Ohmygosh. Even copper iud? I am going to google that

Quoting Anonymous:

Natural family planning. No heart attacks or

cancer due to BC for me.

pokemongirl0191
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM

my doctor told me 6 weks for intercoruse and i was told you are okay to use it while brestfeeding

Quoting carolinapride82:

Oh cool! Def. something I want, my periods are usually very heavy and the cramps are just horrible... Anyone know if the low dosage of hormones in the Mirena will do anything as far as breast feeding? and how long you have to wait to have intercourse after they place it?

Quoting debbie26:

Yes they can and i haven't had but 2 periods and i have had mine for 3yrs IM getting another if i don't decide i want another kid by the time i need to change it...

Quoting carolinapride82:

Oh I definetly want it now!!! You're the third person to recomend it... can they insert as soon as my six week evail? I just gave birth 7-17

Quoting pokemongirl0191:

I have mirena it does skip your periods . i've had mine in for 4 months now and i skiped my last to periods. i would recmend it to everyone. 

Quoting carolinapride82:

I have three wonderful boys and am done having children at the moment lol... I'm considering an IUD called Mirena. I've heard you don't get your period while its in until they change it and it's good for five years. I'd never remember to take a pill every day and I was on depo... thats how my first son came to be! 

CafeMom Tickers
tifbrown
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Mirena. No pull out, no condoms, no period. It's pretty great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM
I don't believe in using any kind of birth control :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)