Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The HIV post

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Have you ever known anyone who has been infected with HIV?

Do you sometimes assume that people who have been affected with the virus did so because they were doing bad/unsafe things?  Do you look at it as a punishment?

If you were friends with someone and found out that they had the virus, would you look at them differently?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM
4 moms liked this
I am HIV positive. I use to be an IV drug user. im sure people judge
and look at me differently but Im over it. I take care of myself now. that was the old me. I have been HIV pos for 4 years. I haven't used drugs in almost 3 and I have a 1 year old so my life is completely different now.
starmoonlight
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:54 AM
What a little creep. I'm pretty sure he was angry he has it but to try to kill other people with it, that's tragic.

Quoting Anonymous:

A cousin of mine had it. He kind of tainted my opinion of people with aids.

He would smear blood/bodily fluids on the toilet seat (he was supposed to use just one bathroom, but would do it in the main bathrooms we all used). He would leave open used needles everywhere, and over all he was just a bitter creep. He isn't sure how he had contracted it, he was gay and also a user.

We had to get shots after a visit because we found out about the toilet seat thing.

He died about 10 or 11 yrs ago.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atyou
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Yes. I know a woman with HIV. she contracted during a very dark time in her life.

=(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
areles
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM
I found it more disturbing that he was relegated to one bathroom. his behavior makes a sad sort of sense in that context.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

A cousin of mine had it. He kind of tainted my opinion of people with aids.

He would smear blood/bodily fluids on the toilet seat (he was supposed to use just one bathroom, but would do it in the main bathrooms we all used). He would leave open used needles everywhere, and over all he was just a bitter creep. He isn't sure how he had contracted it, he was gay and also a user.

We had to get shots after a visit because we found out about the toilet seat thing.

He died about 10 or 11 yrs ago.

That is extremely disturbing.  Not only the acts but his head space being in a place to want to infect others. :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starmoonlight
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM
If someone I know personally has it, I don't know. I have friends who had the gay uncle that had it and already passed away from it. I would not look at the person differently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Binkys_Buttons
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Not personally, a old coworker started dated a boy with HIV and when ever she talked about him she always refered to him as "my boyfriend with HIV" never "my boyfriend Bob" or whatever his name was. I was thought that was weird.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oostera
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Yes. My aunt was, from a very young age, not careful. She used drugs and became a prostitute. She had two children, as far as I am aware. One died at two from meningitis and the other was adopted out and infected with HIV, too. She was my mother's younger sister but by the time I met her (during the full blown AIDS moments in teh hospital) she looked like my grandmother. She was a sweet woman and regretted her life choices. She turned it around too late. She passed away a few years back.

I don't automatically assume that the person was doing something dangerous BUT I will admit that when I know they were... I do feel it is the consequences of their actions. If someone knows about HIV and how you can get it but still participates in the very activities that could harm them, yes they deserve what they get.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:18 AM
My brother in laws mother had it.. she also passed from it.. that's the only person o ever met that had it, as far as I know.
Eta.. she got it from her cheating husband. I wouldn't look differently I don't think, I never saw her after I was told..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Yes. No no and no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShesALady
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM
I don't know anyone and I'd never judge them or assume how they got it. Anyone can be lied to. I also wouldn't treat them different if I knew someone who did have it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured