Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a terrible horrible no good very bad MOM Edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

Why? I haven't really cleaned the kitchen by myself in months.  I never pick up after my kids.  We do this by giving chores.  yes, we are slave drivers.  My kids slave away doing dishes, picking up the living room and dining room, cleaning off the table, vaccuming, doing their laundry, taking care of the dogs, and keeping their own rooms clean.  Why? Because I work full time.  When I started working I told my famly I can no longer do it all, work 40 hrs a week plus do all the house cleaning plus take care of all the kids with homework, dinner, baths, every evening since my dh has the evening shift so he's not here during the work week.  It astounds me how many moms I see on here that take on all housework by themselves when they have energetic, able bodied kids to help out.  not everyone, but many i see on here.  It teaches them responsibility, gratitude, and teamwork in a family where everyone does their part, instead of mom being everyone's slave.  Do you have your kids do any chores?

EDIT:  For those of you who didn't pick up on it, when I said I'm a slave driver and my kids are "slaves" that was a total joke.  Pure sarcasm.  It's meant to make fun of those who think kids should be entitled to trash the house and have parents, most likely mom, run after them picking up everything.  There. Now that was completely literal so that hopefully no one is confused.  

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Replies (131-140):
PrinceMomma486
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM

My kids are 6, 4, 2.5, and 2 mos old so I make my older three do certain things around the house...which is usually centered around things they are capable of doing, like picking up after themselves and my 6 year old now does laundry with me and helps me load and unload the dishwasher. 

CrazyMommy87
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:42 PM
My kids do chores (ages 2,3,4) which I don't consider chores; its not being a slob. Putting their dirty clothes in the hamper, they need to put their dishes in the sink, their trash in the trash (juice boxes/snack wrappers), pick up their toys and the oldest has to help put her clothes away. The other two help carry their clothes upstairs. They all help clean up our 9month old's baby toys also. I do laundry and make sure everyone eats well. Hubby does mostof the cleaning like vaccuming and sweeping, mopping even scrubbing toilets :-)
NicholeP1984
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I am so jealous of you.  I can barely get my kid to dress herself in the morning.  What age did you begin delegating tasks to your children?  Do they get rewards for their help around the house?  I also work a full time job as a teacher and come home exhausted each day. 

Christygrl
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I wouldn't say you're a slave driver or a horrible mom. Yup, chores teach kids important skills in life and responsibility. In my opinion.

My posts are like a resturant, you're free to go somewhere else.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Nope they are too little. I'm not big on chores, I want them to be kids as long as possible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pucki
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Is it working out? Then you're obviously good at it. :-) I could need some of your slave driving power over here. lol

FL2AK
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM
My kids have chores. They feed the pets, do the dishes, take out the garbage and mow the yard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:51 PM
My girls are responisible for their room and their toys. My son is still too young but he help where he can and only when he is willing. My girls willingly do the dishes, and my oldest will ask sometimes if she can vacuum. I actually just told my girls they are not getting anymore toys or candy until they learn to keep their room clean and be responsible.
Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Im a sahm but my kids have chores. Not much. Take out garbage vacum and dust living room,clean their bathroom and clean their bedriooms. My dd once in awhile will help out with the kitchen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MotherOF5Cuties
by Abby on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Girl I took care of everything by myself and was working between 40-60 hrs a week and a single mother for almost 4 years yeah they helped but not made them clean the whole house. Smh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN