Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a terrible horrible no good very bad MOM Edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

Why? I haven't really cleaned the kitchen by myself in months.  I never pick up after my kids.  We do this by giving chores.  yes, we are slave drivers.  My kids slave away doing dishes, picking up the living room and dining room, cleaning off the table, vaccuming, doing their laundry, taking care of the dogs, and keeping their own rooms clean.  Why? Because I work full time.  When I started working I told my famly I can no longer do it all, work 40 hrs a week plus do all the house cleaning plus take care of all the kids with homework, dinner, baths, every evening since my dh has the evening shift so he's not here during the work week.  It astounds me how many moms I see on here that take on all housework by themselves when they have energetic, able bodied kids to help out.  not everyone, but many i see on here.  It teaches them responsibility, gratitude, and teamwork in a family where everyone does their part, instead of mom being everyone's slave.  Do you have your kids do any chores?

EDIT:  For those of you who didn't pick up on it, when I said I'm a slave driver and my kids are "slaves" that was a total joke.  Pure sarcasm.  It's meant to make fun of those who think kids should be entitled to trash the house and have parents, most likely mom, run after them picking up everything.  There. Now that was completely literal so that hopefully no one is confused.  

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Replies (271-280):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 28 on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:12 AM

my kids helped around the houe as i worked went to college i made there dinner when i could in a crock pot or roaster peeled potatoes put them in cold water ready to put on to cook when they were ready to eat took turns vacuming sweeping did ther own laundry cleaned there rooms mopped took care of ttheir own thing when i had the day off or got home early i helped and on week ends when i had the weekend off i cleaned and i did my own laundry and cleaned my own room if ther was a chore they didnt like doing they would trade off with some one else and thing always seemed to get done but if we wanted  to just do something like camping for the week end we did it when we had time we would leave the chores for the day and start again the next day as there was always time for fun for them too we had a chore list and that was your chore for the day even i had my stuff i had to do daily too and my kids i was a single mom due to seperation with four children but they were 12 14 16 18 years old when  they needed something i made sure they had it as they say we couldnt afford much but we had a roof over our heads ,food love and had good times and that is what mattered and now they all know how to due thing it takes to live all but one has kids of their ownn form 4 to 5 kids and they make them learn how to do this by helping  too

pnortham
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:50 PM

All my kids do chores. 

whitedaisies
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

yup-especially over the summer, it teaches them to be self-sufficient, and to appreciate all that an adult does.

Kennadismom
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:54 PM
My 4 tear old is in charge of her room...not the whole thing. But she helps me make her bed and outs her own toys away and helps with putting her clothes away. If done all week she gets $5 for whatever she wants. If not done or I have to fight her she doesn't get her $5
Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I'm a sahm, and my 21 month old knows what to do when I tell her it's time to clean up. She knows where to put her toys and books. She will occasionally put up random toys to get others out in the middle of playing. I plan to nurture this attitude and teach her more skills as she grows. She is learning what we live and even gets in on pushing the vacuum with me.

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Quoting mamiL21:

Slaves- slave drivers. Even if your kids say there not scared does not mean there not. You reffered to yourself as a slave driver on reference towards your children cleaning. ????? I disagree but its your household not mine. We are all gods children not a slave he sent to you because your so high and mighty working those 40 + hours a week that's what you think. I was a single mother until my son was 5 I worked more then 40 hours a week at the hospital on my feet but I still came home tired but I cooked and cleaned. What does not kill a grown adult makes that adult that much stronger.

omg. calling them a slave was a joke.  seriously... that was pure sarcasm to make fun of people who have a problem with children helping out. 

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Quoting HoldensMummy:

I think she was being sarcastic when she said she was a slave-driver. 

To those of you who do it all yourselves, what about chores WITH your children?  If you come home from 40 hours of work, and then do all the cooking and cleaning, what are your children doing?  My DH is with us while we cook, "helping" where he can.  We all do the dishes together, and talk while we do it.   Even when we are all doing different tasks in different rooms, we have the music on, and  get that "team" feeling going.  By "all" I include my husband, because I don't live in the 50s.  We are a family team, looking after our home together.

Just curious- please don't take this question as hostile, I mean it genuinely.  For those of you who don't have chores for your kids- are you planning to have a "life-session" at some point where you teach them how to cook, do laundry, clean a bathroom etc. before they leave?  Or do you feel that they will learn naturally by watching? Or just figure it out when they move?  My own Mom didn't have us do any cooking, and I still don't feel as confident in the kitchen as my hubby who shared the cooking duties with his mom after his dad died. 

you have an excellent point in your second paragraph. I didn't cook much either growing up and had to mostly learn everything for myself. I even screw up cooking rice!

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting andersongirl562:

I asked my 10 year old DS if kids should have chores and help clean the house. His answer was " Sure mom it's our house to we don't want it looking junky! Plus there are five of us and one of you!" lol we bought our own home 2 years ago and they are super proud of it :)

aw what a sweet kid!  what a great attitude!  he's right. Glad you got a new home.  We need a better home and are working on improving ours.

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

My mom made me start doing dishes and cleaning when I was 8, which now looking back, I feel is too young. Maybe some stuff was okay for me to be doing, but I could barely reach the faucet and if I did a bad job I'd get yelled at for not doing it correctly, even though she just told me to do it, without really showing me how to do it, you'd think, oh its not that hard to do dishes, but when you don't really know how to clean in the first place, because you've never seen your mom clean because your older brothers did it, and no one showed you what to do, its a little frustrating, especially when in the first place everything you do is incorrect. I also didn't like that when I got older my mom would always tell me I have done nothing my whole life, but since I was 8 I've been cleaning the house while she sat on her ass and watched, and god forbid it wasn't perfect. 

When my kid is older, hes 1, I will give him chores, like take out the trash, and clean his room and stuff like that. I wouldn't put all the household responsibilities on him at 8 years old and yell at him like my mom did with us...I hate yelling. As long as you don't yell at your kids, whatevs.lol

I'm sorry you had to go thru that.  I'm not as extreme as your mom was and I don't sit all day not doing my part. for sure. so there is a contrast there.  The point is teaching your kids to help out, but not to the extreme of being a tyrant either. I'm sure you understand that. :) 

TheMaskedMommy
by Drama Llama on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Is there a "high five" button somewhere?  There should be a high five button.  Like isn't strong enough for what I feel for this post.

*nil carborundum illegitimi*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN