Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a terrible horrible no good very bad MOM Edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

Why? I haven't really cleaned the kitchen by myself in months.  I never pick up after my kids.  We do this by giving chores.  yes, we are slave drivers.  My kids slave away doing dishes, picking up the living room and dining room, cleaning off the table, vaccuming, doing their laundry, taking care of the dogs, and keeping their own rooms clean.  Why? Because I work full time.  When I started working I told my famly I can no longer do it all, work 40 hrs a week plus do all the house cleaning plus take care of all the kids with homework, dinner, baths, every evening since my dh has the evening shift so he's not here during the work week.  It astounds me how many moms I see on here that take on all housework by themselves when they have energetic, able bodied kids to help out.  not everyone, but many i see on here.  It teaches them responsibility, gratitude, and teamwork in a family where everyone does their part, instead of mom being everyone's slave.  Do you have your kids do any chores?

EDIT:  For those of you who didn't pick up on it, when I said I'm a slave driver and my kids are "slaves" that was a total joke.  Pure sarcasm.  It's meant to make fun of those who think kids should be entitled to trash the house and have parents, most likely mom, run after them picking up everything.  There. Now that was completely literal so that hopefully no one is confused.  

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Replies (31-40):
peachesforme
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Quoting LuvUSoMuch:

Oh - and I yhink you are probably - HOPEFULLY- being sarcastic when you call yourselves slave drivers. (Right?)

of course :)  I was joking

alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM
I would only expect mine to keep their room clean, and pick up anything they get out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Your husband can't bring his own dirty clothes himself?

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

my dd is 6 and she has chores.  I am a stay at home mom, but a lazy one lol.  My dds chores daily are:

take all dirty clothes that are in the living room up to the hall (yes my dh likes to strip downstairs before he goes to bed lol)

clean her room (put away toys and books, make the bed)

put any dirty dishes in the kitchen

scoop ferret poop

Some of this she does in the middle of the day some of it she does right before she goes to bed.  Lol she complains that I make her clean up after me, but when I ask her if she wants to trade chores, she gets quiet lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2threebbz
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Yes my kids have chores. My daughters load/unload the dishwasher. Load/unload washer and dryer:myself and my girls fold and put away the laundry. My son does the trash and takes dirty clothes to the laundry room. Everyone is responsible for cleaning the living room and kitchen. I am a SAHM but I am not the only one who lives here.

LuvUSoMuch
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

embarrassed....................sidesplittinglaughter   I thought so!

Quoting peachesforme:

Quoting LuvUSoMuch:

Oh - and I yhink you are probably - HOPEFULLY- being sarcastic when you call yourselves slave drivers. (Right?)

of course :)  I was joking

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM
My 3 y/o makes our dinner. I have a housekeeper for everything else,
HaileysMom07180
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Its usually only his pants, usually most of the clothes are hers but I really don't see what the big deal is.  I had the exact same chore when I was a kid.  Usually she just grabs them on her way up to hang up her back pack from school or put away her karate bag.

Quoting kathislove80:

Your husband can't bring his own dirty clothes himself?

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

my dd is 6 and she has chores.  I am a stay at home mom, but a lazy one lol.  My dds chores daily are:

take all dirty clothes that are in the living room up to the hall (yes my dh likes to strip downstairs before he goes to bed lol)

scoop ferret poop

Some of this she does in the middle of the day some of it she does right before she goes to bed.  Lol she complains that I make her clean up after me, but when I ask her if she wants to trade chores, she gets quiet lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids have work ethic. They mow lawns for money and they do have chores believe me, they just arent made to clean up after their parents. My kids would feel like crap if they were made to do that. You said yourself  you are a lazy SAHM. Believe me you are the last person I would come crying to about anything.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

Oh poor child has a few chores.  Yes she has to clear the dishes off the table after we are finished eating.  Well when we look at the work 15 years from now and we are wondering why our young adults have no work ethic we can look at the parents of those children.  She does a little help around the house.  I am not lazy by any means, my husband works 10 hour shifts mon - thurs and 1 weekend a month (yes both 10 hour days)  She is not a slave in our house.  and it takes her maybe 20 minutes a day to do her chores.  please don't come crying to me when your children are still living at home at the age of 30 because they never learned work ethic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then your DH should be taking his own clothes where they belong after he strips downstairs...who ever eats from those dishes should get off their lazy ass and take them to the sink. Sounds like you are lazy and had kids to do your dirty work...how can you even feel good about this?? Having chores is one thing but to be made to clean up after 2 adults is absolutely terrible. Poor kid!!

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

scoop ferret poop

Palindromeda
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM

It's just me and DD so we BOTH have chores, I cook, she loads the dishwasher. I take the clothes to the laundromat, she helps me put them away. She's reponsible for her craft room and bedroom and for the catbox on the weekends. I've also started letting her decide and cook the Saturday night dinner, that night I clean the dishes.

We don't really have chores, per se though. We really have more an itenerary that we follow throughout the week and it's a shared responsibility to get these things taken care of as a team. Before long I'll be at work and school and she'll be at school and we'll once again fall into a more rigid routine.

Luuckymommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My 12 1/2 year old twin are responsible for putting their own dishes in the dishwasher and making their own beds and picking up after themselves generally. They also must fold and out away their own laundry but I wash it for them. They also have a few extra chores on Saturday. Autumn sweeps the kitchen and vacuums the living room and play room. Amber vacuums the upstairs hallway and vacuums and dusts their bedroom that they share. My four year old is responsible for putting his dishes in the sink (he's not really tall enough to rinse them and I don't want him putting them in the dishwasher just yet.) and responsible for putting away his own toys and putting his dirty clothes in the hamper. He would make his own bed but it's tricky because it's a toddler bed and has rails on the back etc so I help. He gets a twin bed next week and he will make it himself then. I think kids should have some chores and it helps them be independent and boosts their self esteem:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN