Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

People keep asking me what I would call her

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM
  • 109 Replies
SO and I already picked out names for the baby. If it is a boy, he will be named after SO's grandfather. If it is a girl, she will be named after my grandmother.

When I tell people the girl's name, they say, "So, what will you call her?" It is like they are suggesting that the name is so awful that we better have a nickname in place. Even family members that loved my grandmother have asked.

My grandmother hated her first name, so she went by her middle name. She begged family members to never name a baby after her because she thought it was an ugly name. Right before she died, she told me that she changed her mind and wants her name to be carried on. She asked me to name a girl after her if I ever had one.

I have dreamed ever since of fulfilling that promise and having a beautiful little girl that can rock the name. Now, people are making me feel like the name is awful.

My grandmother's full name with maiden name was Miriam Aleene Bailey. I am debating on whether to use her maiden name as a second middle name if I do have a girl, but have not decided.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_2_jasper
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM
3 moms liked this
Miriam is a cute name!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I see nothing wrong with the name. I think it is pretty.

TrouserMouse
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks!

It is so special to me if it would ever come to fruition. I loved my grandmother more than I have ever loved any other woman. It would be like giving her a very special gift even though she is no longer with us. It kind of hurts when people react the way they are. She was perfect and beautiful and I want to give that little piece of her to my little girl if I get one.

Quoting mama_2_jasper:

Miriam is a cute name!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM
I like it. My girls have a friend Miriam. I thought about that as a name for my now Rebekah.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:00 PM
2 moms liked this

It seems like it has such sentimental value to you. If my grandmother would have made that request, I would do it in a heart beat.

MrsJaiClark
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I LOVE the name Miriam! And the obvious nickname is Mimi and my nickname (only reserved for SD) is Me-Me so it makes me love it even more! heehee

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Miriam bailey is such a cute name!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Purplehaze87
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I like the name Miriam and it's even better that it's family legacy

Lol my grandmother's maiden name is Bailey and it's my DD's second middle name :)

JessaThorn
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I think it's a beautiful name. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.  Don't listen to people. Most of them are stupid anyway. It's your baby, so you shouldn't be asking people what to name her. :)

SNA
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM
I think it's cute
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)