Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**UPDATE - hahahaha***NEW QUESTION* I am NOT okay with this. Do we say something, or let him handle it?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:57 AM
  • 65 Replies
1 mom liked this
UPDATE so, at 1:45, we finally got a hold of him. He still had no idea how long he would be there. I told him I was coming to get him and he needed to let her know. He walked out as we pulled up. She was going to make him work until 5am and give him a ride home. He had only had a 30 minute break. There were people that came in after him that were sent home. That bitch is crazy. I was so ready to go in there. He is going to talk to the store manager on Wednesday and tell him what happened and that that is not okay. He also now understands that he has the right to say no to extra hours and put a limit on any extra he is willing to work.

My son is 16 years old. He works at McDonald's. He was scheduled today from 3pm-11pm. It is now 12:53 am and he is still at work. He texted us at 11:30 and said he had to stay late, not sure how long. I have three problems with this:

1. He is 16. They have no business working him at this hour.
2. He doesn't drive yet, so we have to stay up until he gets off.
3. I'm pretty sure this is the manger that was pushing for him to work overnights, even though another manager told her no.

My husband knows one of the managers. Should my husband talk to him, should my son deal with it? This is a totally new situation us.

ETA: there us no problem with him working late, or extra hours, etc. But 1am is not reasonable to me.

*It is now 1:37 - 2 hours and 37 minutes since he wad supposed to be off. His fell phone is in the breakroom while working. Can I just go up there and tell him it's time to go home?*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
areyouatroll
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Aren't there child labor laws preventing him from working that late?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krayzbabylove
Bump.. look up laws on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mz_erica03
Maybe let your son deal with it first?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:59 AM
I don't know. I don't want to take it that far. But this is ridiculous. This is the first time this has happened.

Quoting areyouatroll:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hierophant85
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I know there is around here but i think it changes during the summer.

Quoting areyouatroll:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM
What does he say? My parents don't want Mr working that late?

Quoting mz_erica03:

Maybe let your son deal with it first?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstkn.identity
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Agree. In some states they have laws where minors can only work til say 11 pm, ect.

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Bump.. look up laws on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM
That might be true. Once school starts, he'll have to change his availability to no later than 10 pm.

Quoting Hierophant85:

I know there is around here but i think it changes during the summer.

Quoting areyouatroll:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angie729
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Talk to your son and let him handle the situation. If you always go handle things like this for him when he is out on his own he will not know how to handle his business.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:02 AM
That's what I'm thinking. I just don't know what he should say. We don't want him to get in trouble, ya know?

Quoting angie729:

Talk to your son and let him handle the situation. If you always go handle things like this for him when he is out on his own he will not know how to handle his business.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)