Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What stereotypes do you find to be true?

Posted by   + Show Post
Stereotype
Noun:
A widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing: "sexual and racial stereotypes".
Verb:
View or represent as a stereotype: "the film is weakened by its stereotyped characters".

rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/
Noun:
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

Do you generally find stereotypes to be true? I posted the definition because I know many think that stereotypes and racism are one and the same. Racism is more hate fueled while stereotypes are generalizations.

Before everyone gets up in arms about generalizations--it is not inclusive of an entire group of people. There are exceptions to every rule.

gen·er·al·i·za·tion/ˌjenərəliˈzāSHən/
Noun:
A general statement or concept obtained by inference from specific cases.
The action of generalizing: "such anecdotes cannot be a basis for generalization".

So what stereotypes do you find to be true? I'll start:

Puerto Ricans love to party
Asians love to take pictures--of *everything*
Mexicans live in houses with many families all under one roof
White people can't dance
Black mothers are less likely to take the slightest bit of shit from their kids

Remember, stereotypes aren't always negative things. There are many many positive and negative things about each and every group of people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
MillaEKD
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:31 AM
Well most. I'm black and as far as my community goes, not all but most.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:31 AM
They do, right down to the hats and matching shoes! I never match so I'm always in awe of someone who takes the time and effort to make their accessories match their outfits.

Quoting Anonymous:

Black people go all out when dressing to go to church haha..i love to see the outfits they wear on Sundays. And no I'm not a racist, I love to see there outfits. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:32 AM
I learned in one of my psych classes that most stereotypes are true
TrouserMouse
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
From my experience, black women hate cats and feel they are evil.

They are also more likely to thank the Lord or praise Jesus openly for everything they are grateful for and may even fall to the ground while doing so.

Quoting epoh:

Black people usually don't like dogs either.

Quoting sparklebug86:

I find that people from India dont like dogs, big or small. I dont know if that holds true for people of the same nationality who were raised in the states

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sparklebug86

Ive heard that but, I see alot of black men with big dogs and not always pitbulls. Now I dont see too many women with dogs though. We live in an area with alot of "Indians" (i really hate that phrase) and I have yet to see one with a dog of any size

Quoting epoh:

Quoting sparklebug86:

I find that people from India dont like dogs, big or small. I dont know if that holds true for people of the same nationality who were raised in the states

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
MillaEKD
1 mom liked this
Lol. I love me some kool-aid. And now my mom has my son hooked too.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Most stereotypes are or stem from the truth. 

I myself am a typical black person lol. I fit just about every single stereotype. I can't swim, I was spanked, I love chicken and watermelon, I'm lactose intolerant, I've been on PA, I'm on the verge of high blood pressure(though it's getting better), I was born out of wed lock, I drink kool-aid on a regular basis, black cherry is the shit ect. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with being fitting a stereotype. The only shame is in letting it limit you. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
1 mom liked this

Quoting kybelle:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Most stereotypes are or stem from the truth. 

I myself am a typical black person lol. I fit just about ever single stereotype. I can't swim, I was spanked, I like chick and watermelon, I'm lactose intolerant, ect. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with being fitting a stereotype. The only shame is in letting it limit you. 

I didn't know being lactose intolerant was a stereotype for black people. You learn something new every day.

Me either, or not knowing how to swim. There is, however, a really funny movie that was put out by Comedy Central about 10 years ago called "The Hebrew Hammer", and the main character is an Orthodox Jewish crime fighter whose partner is African-American. The villain sets up a booby trap that's triggered by stereotypes--so if either of them does something stereotypical, it sets off a trap. The triggers for the Jewish character are picking up a quarter off the ground, playing the violin and complaining about his allergies, and for the AA character, they're picking up a piece of chicken and being really, really good at basketball.  :)

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Especially if they are Baptists.  My grandma would spend her last dimes on a new Sunday two-pice suit and huge hat. She was known as the hat lady and refused to ever give that title up. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Black people go all out when dressing to go to church haha..i love to see the outfits they wear on Sundays. And no I'm not a racist, I love to see there outfits. 

Monique vs Salad GIF - Monique vs Salad

epoh
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:35 AM
I visit my hometown quite often. There are way too many white people in the town I'm in now. It's weird for me. :/ Anyways. The hometown is so much more racially diverse. I do see black men walking down the street and it's hilarious when they have tiny dogs like poodles. We call them thugs with pugs. Lol

Quoting sparklebug86:

Ive heard that but, I see alot of black men with big dogs and not always pitbulls. Now I dont see too many women with dogs though. We live in an area with alot of "Indians" (i really hate that phrase) and I have yet to see one with a dog of any size

Quoting epoh:

Quoting sparklebug86:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this
My black neighbors invite me to church all the friggin time. They go out in their heels and hose and hats early every Sunday morning. When they invite me I tell them I'd burst into flame if I set foot in a church. They laugh at me and still try to drag me along. :)

Quoting TrouserMouse:

From my experience, black women hate cats and feel they are evil.

They are also more likely to thank the Lord or praise Jesus openly for everything they are grateful for and may even fall to the ground while doing so.

Quoting epoh:

Quoting sparklebug86:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)