Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What stereotypes do you find to be true?

Posted by   + Show Post
Stereotype
Noun:
A widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing: "sexual and racial stereotypes".
Verb:
View or represent as a stereotype: "the film is weakened by its stereotyped characters".

rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/
Noun:
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

Do you generally find stereotypes to be true? I posted the definition because I know many think that stereotypes and racism are one and the same. Racism is more hate fueled while stereotypes are generalizations.

Before everyone gets up in arms about generalizations--it is not inclusive of an entire group of people. There are exceptions to every rule.

gen·er·al·i·za·tion/ˌjenərəliˈzāSHən/
Noun:
A general statement or concept obtained by inference from specific cases.
The action of generalizing: "such anecdotes cannot be a basis for generalization".

So what stereotypes do you find to be true? I'll start:

Puerto Ricans love to party
Asians love to take pictures--of *everything*
Mexicans live in houses with many families all under one roof
White people can't dance
Black mothers are less likely to take the slightest bit of shit from their kids

Remember, stereotypes aren't always negative things. There are many many positive and negative things about each and every group of people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Replies (341-350):
AdellesMom
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM
I'm black and I didn't know that. LOL

Quoting kybelle:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Most stereotypes are or stem from the truth. 

I myself am a typical black person lol. I fit just about ever single stereotype. I can't swim, I was spanked, I like chick and watermelon, I'm lactose intolerant, ect. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with being fitting a stereotype. The only shame is in letting it limit you. 

I didn't know being lactose intolerant was a stereotype for black people. You learn something new every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kybelle
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

See we both learned something new....

Quoting AdellesMom:

I'm black and I didn't know that. LOL

Quoting kybelle:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Most stereotypes are or stem from the truth. 

I myself am a typical black person lol. I fit just about ever single stereotype. I can't swim, I was spanked, I like chick and watermelon, I'm lactose intolerant, ect. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with being fitting a stereotype. The only shame is in letting it limit you. 

I didn't know being lactose intolerant was a stereotype for black people. You learn something new every day.

AdellesMom
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:43 PM
The stuff I was going to mention have already been mentioned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nunyabusiness
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:45 PM

The best stereotype I have ever seen was attending an all black church. You don't know this before going, but we went in and we were literally the ONLY family that was not black. Not even hispanic or Asian. 

The service lasted three hours I kid you not. The singing was at least half of it. They all raised their hands, danced, and did not use their hymnals, they all just knew the words! The pastor yelled his points. There was a woman in the back who literally yelled "Praise Jesus! Oh mercy! I can't help myself! I CAN'T HELP MYSELF! Praise Jesus!" The hats these women wore were incredible and they matched their outfits and shoes and gloves perfectly. 

It. Was. Amazing. :) I thoroughly enjoyed experiencing that culture, even if I was class A starving by the time it was over. We were hugged by just about everyone in that church and they were so welcoming and kind. We didnt' go back because well I felt uncomfortable with attending a church that had "Negro Hymnals" that was what was no joke printed on the front of their hymnals. I was like yeahhh... lets go to our boring Baptist churches where it's a bit more diverse. haha

i.heart.nerds
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM
White people love to do stupid crap like jumping out of a plane with only a parachute to keep you from splattering on the ground.
Even the skinniest black woman has a bigger butt than me!
ruthiecrue
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Serial killers and child molestors are usally white men. Homicides with guns are usually committed by black men.  Blacks don't like camping. Arabs own all the gas stations, party stores, cell phone stores ect...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Italians have bad tempers

Swedes are stubborn

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

That's wonderful.  When I was a kid looking through family pics I'd ask you is so-and-so and where are they now.  Hmm, I got the ole, "oh, he died of `lead poisening', and not from a pencil."  sealed lip

Quoting mama2gg:

Wish my Italian friends where lol I've got a whole family I've grown up with and they are sa country and backwards as any redneck lolol no crime boss here

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Italian people are either `connected' to the syndicate, are `made-men' or `soldiers'.    I would be lying if I said that this is purely a stereotype. 

Rose87
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Yep... I've seen them used on kids, dogs, husbands etc.. lol
It's "a rican thing"

And everyone looks at me crazy when I say "I need to buy some new tacos" LOL (heels... not food)

Quoting epoh:

Beat the kids *snort*

I'm buying my MIL chancletas for her birthday. She uses them on the dog. Lol

Quoting Rose87:

I'm so many ethnicities it is crazy

Irish - hot temper - TRUE

Rican - love to party/loud/obnoxious/beat the kids - TRUE

Italian - love to eat/cook - TRUE

And more... lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:25 PM

My Asian friends are all militant about education.  I had heard that stereotype forever, but figured it was just a joke. I am now, however, a believer. Whenever I have a question about educational stuff, that I can not answer with my own research, I call my best friend, cause that lady is AMAZING.  We are the only non Asian family I know that puts as much value on education as we do. 

Mexicans tend to be much more family focused than other cultures.

White people are more comfortable breaking from what society tells them should be the 'normal' way to behave. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured