Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I Really Dislike Video Games

Posted by   + Show Post

My confession of the day....

I do not think children should play anything that requires them to be motionless/sedentary for an extended period of time.  This includes video games, computers, television.

I think if parents allow these types of "toys", they should be highly restricted and limited to only a certain amount a day, the smaller the amount the better.

Of course if the child has some type of condition that requires them to be sedentary, then more sedentary activity is more acceptable. 

I know lots of parents that let their kids play video games, they take a nintendo DS with them everywhere.  They have their own tablets and I phones or computers, play stations.

I just dont like any of it.  I know its not my choice and they arn't my kids and its none of my business...Im just saying, I dont like it- nothing more.  I have never heard an argeument that made me think it was ok.  Gamers have excellent hand eye coordination and advanced dexterity in their thumbs.  Thats the best arguement I ever heard and I still dont think thats positive enough to outweigh the negatives. 

My husband likes playing video games and we came up with a rule that makes us both happy.  He can play as long as he would like, in the attic.  It gets either really hot up there or really cold, so it acts as a deterrent.  He can't stand to play more than an hour at a time usually and its always an evening thing.  I also made this rule because I want to delay my sons interest in it as long as possible.  When the time inevitably comes the same rule will apply to him as it does my husband. 

I just think that our time is better spent and more productive and healthier elsewhere.  I would rather my son be playing hide and seek or building block towers and being imaginative with his manual toys than have him kill brain cells focusing on a screen mindlessly pounding away at the remote. 

I just don't like it. 

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Replies (41-50):
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Atleast you participate in it with them.  : )  Thats better to me.  Seems like you are doing the video gaming correctly if it must be done at all.  Thanks for your comment. 

Quoting luvinmy3babes:

We love games at our house. We play games as a family all the time. I see a lot of positives to it. Its something we all enjoy and do together as a family. We all look forward to breaking out rock band together, jamming out and acting goofy as a family. We all play the kinect games on the x box and compete with eachother...its fun! My kids also have ds's and its great for their hour of quite time.

gatorswife1401
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM
The computer my kids are only allowed 30 to 45 mins a day. And the wii we all play
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Smartsicles
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Does your kid still shit rainbows and piss glitter?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Im the same.  Thanks for your comment. 

Quoting PeaceLoveZ:

I also am not a fan of video games. I find them to be a waste of time. I will do everything I can to deter(sp?) my child from them. It's okay of wants to play them or have systems but the minute I feel like its too much, games & controllers will "go missing". But I think my son won't be into all to much, we are very active, outdoorsy ppl and like to often have something going on.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM

you are wrong. 

Quoting Smartsicles:

LOL you are delusional and your opinions lack depth and logic.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Your a stalker, you and all the anons and not so anons that follow me around and continue to bring up that one post.  Stalking me. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Not a stalker I just remember names of people who look stupid.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Wow, your rediculous.  Reachin real hard it seems...

If you could read, it clearly states that I dont want to monitor him, thus its in the attic.  I dont know what kind of wife you are but I don't encourage my husband to waste time he later misses and regrets he wasted. 

As far as you calling me a bully...Laughable- get over it stalker. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry I thought we were talking about your husband. I didn't know you monitored him like you would a child. So you are still a bully just not to children but your husband as well.

Quoting Matriarch87:

I don't make him do anything.  Its called compromise, I dont see how thats insane.  If he isn't monitored he could zone out in a game for countless hours on end, thats not acceptable to me then he later complains how he doesn't have time for anything forgetting he just spent 5 hours killing zombies.  Nor do I have any desire to "monitor" him.  So we put it in the attic, the weather monitors him. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Good for you. We are a gaming household and my husband can play his game anywhere he wants. I won't make him sit in a damn attic, thats insane. Lmfao As a matter of fact my 5 year old is playing Mario Cart on his DSi.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Im a gamer and my husband is not. I don't play games during the day only after everyone is in bed. My son is allowed to play xbox and the computer. I can go dig up an article i read once where it states video games help with dexterity, reading comprehension, and problem solving.  He also gets plenty of exercise using the kinect that goes with the xbox. 

ginnjuice

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM

You still stalking me? 

Quoting Smartsicles:

Does your kid still shit rainbows and piss glitter?

mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I like video games, but DH and the kids don't.  Boo!  I guess I'll just play Just Dance by myself.  *cry*

GwenMB
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I agree with you.

I'm glad my DH is even more anti gaming than I am as we don't have an attic.

I do have an iPad & my boys (ages 5 & 3.5) play purely educational games on it.  But its limited to about half an hour & only every couple days.

At some point, they likely will ask for video games etc.  Not going to happen for as long as possible!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN