Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EDIT, EDIT AGAIN!!! My kids get coffee and beer

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have given my kids their own coffee, usually coffee milk but sometimes small regular cups. And once every few months dh will let them try sips of his beer. We don't go crazy with it and I was raised to have a couple sips of beer and I hate it now and never rebelled with alcohol because it wasn't a huge deal. Even now half the time they tell him beer is gross.

Edit
So if I am so wrong then why are most people that grew up with sips saying they hate beer now? 90% of those that tried it young don't even DRINK it. So please, I would love your thoughts on why I am so wrong.

Edit again:  400 more replies were added after the first edit so forget about that.  To those saying it is illegal, it is not in my state.  I am the parent and can give them alcohol.  I wouldn't get arrested for it, I am not teaching my kids to break laws.  If you are going to post about how illegal it is like a lot of you did then please look up the laws before you reply, I am in Texas.  I don't find one sip of beer every few months harmful.  I don't sit them down in front of super why every night or diego and crack open a beer for each of them.  I am teaching them to respect alcohol and know how to limit it and be responsible.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Replies (571-580):
Lishes
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Over coffee and a couple sips of beer?  Doubtful LOL.

Quoting Anonymous:

congrats, the police are now tracking your IP address :) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 69 on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:53 AM
I don't see what everyone is so mad about lol. They do this in other countries and the alcohol abuse/alcohol related deaths amongst teens and young adults is significantly lower.

I don't do this with our kids but not because its "bad parenting" but because media has made parents feel like terrible human beings if they even think about it. My dh gave ds a sip of beer and I freaked - then thought about it and was like, "what's the big deal?" And why did I freak out? Because it is socially unnacceptable. Not because I truly believed it was harmful or would adversely affect our kids.
weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:55 AM
You are wrong. Beer is delicious. Give me a good Mild or Saison any day. Hell, I'll even have an IPA, if it has the right hops in it.

Unless you're talking about that swill Bud Light that people dare define as "beer".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I don't see what everyone is so mad about lol. They do this in other countries and the alcohol abuse/alcohol related deaths amongst teens and young adults is significantly lower.

I don't do this with our kids but not because its "bad parenting" but because media has made parents feel like terrible human beings if they even think about it. My dh gave ds a sip of beer and I freaked - then thought about it and was like, "what's the big deal?" And why did I freak out? Because it is socially unnacceptable. Not because I truly believed it was harmful or would adversely affect our kids.

I think that is why half the moms are freaking out. They have no clue it isn't illegal in all states either. I know the law and am not forcing them or poisoning them but it is a big taboo.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 70 on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Beer? And I think I'm so great for not giving my kids soda. Maybe I am the weird one, right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 66 on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:57 AM
"right now" they dont. Later, they will. And think "mommy let me do it when i was a kid, so its ok"

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

It can, but right now my kids don't have the choice of it turning into more even if they wanted it to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

No because it is a lesson on limiting it every time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 71 on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I have let my kids taste beer and they hate it so they will never touch it they say eww beer lol..

SterlingHeart
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:03 AM

your not wrong but every person is different and some react differently - my kids take sips of my drinks now and then - i am not a big drinker.... and doubt they will be - there is not a history of alcholism in my family.... but you mix availability with a bad up bringing or a pre disposition to alcholism and you may have contributed to a mess 

myboys1st
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Lol wow i guess ill spell that to laughing out loud..its computer talk..wow

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not sure if someone pointed this out already but. While Op may not make the best parenting choices, you can't even spell are or your. Just thought I'd say something.

Quoting myboys1st:

R you dumb? seriously ill ask before ur post gets long

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)