Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why can't women just be alone?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:44 AM
  • 26 Replies
2 moms liked this

Okay....I know you're out there....single mothers who are completely content living your life and not putting your focus on 'finding a man'.

But, WHY is it that I keep reading shit about mothers who are playing around....asking questions about this man and that man....and how he's seeing other women or how they're still hung up on their ex husbands, etc. 

Letting men treat them like SHIT....for WHAT?  So they aren't 'alone'???? 

Why the 'need' to 'be with somebody'??  Especially somebody who is WRONG for you and your child?!? 

Well?

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama2ETA
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:46 AM

I'm married, but honestly would have NO idea how to be alone. I have a respect for the women that can do it, and are content. Can't imagine. 

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Quoting Mama2ETA:

I'm married, but honestly would have NO idea how to be alone. I have a respect for the women that can do it, and are content. Can't imagine. 

Well....in all fairness, I have respect for those who can do it 'coupled' (married....with someone -- as long as it's a health partnership).  I've never NOT been alone when it comes to my responsibilities in life.  I have NEVER shared those responsibilities with ANYONE.  (other than my parents when I was a child....lol!). 

I just don't understand why some women choose to be in toxic, unhealthy relationships vs. just being alone.  What are they so scared of? (not expecting an answer....just my thoughts)

Luv2BaMommy9809
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Because, for some, being alone is lonely and as the social creatures we are, we don't like to be lonely.  And, unfortunately, the more lonely they are, the less picky they become about their company...we are just happy to have it.  Some are so lonely and tired as new relationships don't pan out, that they convince themselves that they are still in love with their ex...the devil you know is suddenly better than the devil you don't have...

idk, just an opinion...seemed to be the pattern of some single moms I know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:55 AM
Why is your hatred of men so strong?
NonaScheib38
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I recently called it quits w my toxic husband, and it is stupid hard. Ive always thought like you, that if it got too bad I would rather be alone. I'm certainly not interested in "finding a man" and am way happier alone in some areas (nobodys stealing my money or calling me names) but for some reason there is just a fear of the unknown. There is a bit of comfort in the familiar, ya kno? I know what a garbage relationship it was and knew how to act in it and react to his bullshit. Now everything is new ground and I'm scared.
I'm scared for a lot of reasons. What if I'm overreacting? What if this is just what a relationship is? Etc.

I'm not saying everyone should stick to their shitty SOs, because I'm certainly not, but it is a huge shift to go from a couple to alone. It takes time to stop second guessing your decision.

And Yeah, society puts a lot of emphasis on a woman being a couple. There is an assumption, I think, that if ur alone that there's something wrong w u.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Not understanding why women would rather be in a shitty relationship versus being alone means I have a strong hatred for men, Miss Anonymous?

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Quoting NonaScheib38:

I recently called it quits w my toxic husband, and it is stupid hard. Ive always thought like you, that if it got too bad I would rather be alone. I'm certainly not interested in "finding a man" and am way happier alone in some areas (nobodys stealing my money or calling me names) but for some reason there is just a fear of the unknown. There is a bit of comfort in the familiar, ya kno? I know what a garbage relationship it was and knew how to act in it and react to his bullshit. Now everything is new ground and I'm scared.
I'm scared for a lot of reasons. What if I'm overreacting? What if this is just what a relationship is? Etc.

I'm not saying everyone should stick to their shitty SOs, because I'm certainly not, but it is a huge shift to go from a couple to alone. It takes time to stop second guessing your decision.

And Yeah, society puts a lot of emphasis on a woman being a couple. There is an assumption, I think, that if ur alone that there's something wrong w u.

What a complete and honest answer! 

I hope you're able to find peace in your decision and find strength in your unknown for awhile.  I understand all the fears and questions you must have, and respect that it must be very difficult. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Not every girl that goes looking for a boyfriend ends up in a shitty relationship

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Anonymous:

Not understanding why women would rather be in a shitty relationship versus being alone means I have a strong hatred for men, Miss Anonymous?

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM
*like*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bearscubed
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I can understand the feeling of needing someone there to talk to and comfort you. What I don't understand is abandoning your position as a doting mother to find a man to satisfy YOUR needs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN