Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who's a Marine or AirForce Wife?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
Ok so my husband is thinking about joining. What are your outlooks on the "family" life on these branches? Great for family or could be better? How do you feel?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Air Force hands down

LogansMommy0328
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a marine wife the marines is very family oriented and has alot of programs for family's (new moms, kid activitys, etc.....) I will say that the marines is alot harder than the other branches of the military so tell him to do his homework but all in all the marines is my pick :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Air Force hands down. My husband served as an aircraft mechanic. If he goes in just make sure his job can transfer out into the civilian world. Its awesome to be a supply clerk for the hours but you really don't have something in the outside world where you can get paid worth a damn. 

AmericanHoney31
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

i'm a marine wife ... the military lifestyle is not my first choice (bein' away from my family back home sucks) but I support my husband and his decision ..........................the military does provide pretty good insurance and career opportunities so those are positives to him joinin' ............... your husband should definitely talk to atleast 2 ppl that are in now before he totally commits to make sure it is what he really wants... good luck to yall :)

GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Air Force hands down

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM
ex marine wife it's been a few yrs for me so I'll let other answer lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I'm an AF wife, but my whole family is military.

The military in general tries to support families.  And it's hard to compare branch to branch, even base to base, b/c things are different in different areas.

So here is my advice:

The AF tends to have fewer deployments.  They also tend to have nicer bases/housing.  However, b/c of the fewer deployments in a lot of areas, they tend to have fewer programs for families when he IS deployed.  There is always something going on at the base, though, and you can make your own network of friends and support.

The Marines tend to deploy more often, or for longer periods of time.  Their jobs tend to be more demanding.  In my experience, their bases are not quite as nice.  BUT, they have A LOT for supporting families while the spouse is deployed!  While there are fewer base functions, there always seems to be something happening on a larger level.

I think his best bet would be to figure out what he wants to DO.  What's he interested in?  Engine repair?  Does he want to shoot the big guns?  Would he like to fly a drone?

http://www.airforce.com/careers/

http://www.marines.com/eligibility/service-options

Have him browse the two websites and find the kind of jobs he would be interested in performing.  If the same job is available in both branches, he can talk to his recruiters to find out which branch can offer him the "best deal" as far as pay, accelerated promotions, and other perks.  While looking for different jobs, he can actually find out what bases those jobs are available at.  While he might not get to pick his base going in, down the road he can request a specific station, such as one close to family, or in an exotic location you've always wanted to see!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)