Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EDITED.what have you always wanted to know about teachers but too afraid to ask? I added more to my list!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm currently a high school special ed teacher. I Co teach science but I've taught middle and elementary school special and Gen ed. Ask me anything.

My advice to parents:

1. Email me if you have a question or concern before you speak to a principal or someone else. 99 percent of the time its a simple misunderstanding or something your student didn't tell me and is quickly solved if you talk to me.

2. Be on time for meetings and don't waste my time. If I'm meeting with you after school, there's a good chance I'm staying past my contracted time and taking unpaid time away from my own family. I don't mind but please be on time for meetings and don't make me stay later by talking about things not relevant. I can't tell you how often I call a mom to talk about a low test grade and she goes on about her weight watchers meeting for 20 minutes. I care about you but we are not friends.

3. Understand your child may act differently at school, especially around their friends. If I'm calling you because of discipline, there's a problem. I don't have time to pick on kids or make stuff up and if I'm contacting you, its been an issue for a few days.

4. Understand I'm not perfect. I may make a typo occasionally or spell your Zack with a k like Zach with an h by mistake. If it doesn't happen all the time, show me the same courtesy you'd want me to show you and your child. I'm human.

5. If there's something that you think I need to know about your child, let me know! Don't assume I know! This is especially true at the start of the year while I'm getting to know your child. If the work load is too heavy, tell me and we can fix it.

6. Please understand your student probably has some homework everyday. If they come home saying they don't everyday they are lying.

7. Understand I have 180 students. I will do my best for all but I'm only human.

8. I wanted to add that if you see me out in public, remember that I'm an adult. If you see me drinking a glass of wine with dinner, wearing a swimsuit at the pool or seeing an r rated movie, don't lecture me or comment. Obviously I don't do anything illegal or immoral and I do hold myself to higher standards but I deserve a life too. ;-) also respect my space if you see me at Walmart buying tampons or eating dinner.

9. Please understand I can't have a parent teacher conference at Walmart. Its a public place without privacy and I want to focus on what I'm doing. Also don't call my house, personal cell or show up at my home unless. Don't ask to be able to do this. Yes, this happens. Contact me at the school if you need me.

10. Understand due to privacy laws I can't discuss other students with you. I may think Billy's girlfriend is mean and getting him into trouble but I can't say it.

11. Please don't speak ill of other teachers to me. I may think that teacher is a jerk too but I can't say it and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Talk to them or their boss.

12. If I do something well, tell me! Email or letters are best because we can use them in a portfolio. If you really like me, email my principal.

13. If you are picking your child up from an after school activity, please be on time! I am not paid to sponsor the clubs that I do and it is on my own unpaid non-contract time away from my own family, plus I also have to pay for the supplies we use for the club out of my own paycheck. I am probably tired and want to go home or other things I need to do. When you show up half an hour late or call Billy's cell phone and say you'll be there in an hour when you get done at the mall or done watching Judge Judy, I have to stay even later to wait for you to get there. It makes me mad and it means less time I have for my own life and my own family.

Do you have any advice for me on how to be the best teacher I can?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Replies (41-50):
IAMmomtotrips
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:12 PM
I completely agree! The student that I liked the least of my entire teaching career got an A in my class. Why? B/C he dropped down from my gifted class b/c he didn't want to work. He could have gotten an A with his eyes closed.

I would NEVER allow my personal feelings impact my grading'

Quoting Anonymous:

I think most teachers are not like this. I don't hate any student. Some I feel more of a bond with than others but I would never fail anyone on purpose. A student who tries to do their work never fails in my class.

Quoting Anonymous:

My teacher in highschool hated me because i got what i wanted. She failed me on purpose and we had proof on a voice recorder.she would bring her newborn baby into class while she would teach and just show off the kid. She lied so much my dad came in There and cursed her out. She's no longer a teacher:) but why do teachers do this? Or was she just one of the bad ones that make it through

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aleta775
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, your last sentence is the issue. If we can't see or hear a kid being bullied there is not a ton that we can do about it. I hate that, but that's the truth. That doesn't mean that a teacher/s don't take it seriously. You can pull a bully aside and try to talk to them about their behavior, but they will almost always deny that they have done anything wrong. Then they are sneaky and don't do it when you are looking or they will isolate the victim and harass them where a teacher cannot see it. We have our hands tied, because we cannot hand down punishments simply based on what people say. However, when I have caught bullies, I was always the teacher to push for the stiffest punishment especially if it was supposedly something that was on going. The best we can do is encourage the child that is being bullied to come to a teacher RIGHT away. They shouldn't wait. The sooner they come to a teacher the faster and easier it is to catch the bully in the act and we can do something about it.  

Quoting Bethsunshine:

When a parent approaches you about their child being bullied, ( through email, hand-written letter, on the phone and in person) take it seriously and address the problem. Don't tell the parent, " Well I don't see it happening so I can't do anything about it!" I don't know of any kid on earth who is dumb enough to bully in front of the teacher.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:13 PM
my child is in special ed class, (she "might" have dsylxia (spelling) but idk yet.) what can i do?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Yes it upsets me. My advice is to try to make the best of it as you can. Supplement as best as you can. Use it. As a learning experience that some people in life just aren't the best.

Quoting maureen813:

I know that there are a few teachers who are just not happy, excited, passionate or enjoying their vocation as teachers, does this upset you and what could you suggest to a parent who may have to deal with this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Probably rude but maybe she was shy or nervous around adults. Has she otherwise been a good teacher?

Quoting Anonymous:

School has started, when I took my child to the classroom, she didn't say hi, she didn't introduce herself. She just said "Find your name, take a seat." No one was in there except another student. I thought it was rude for the first day. : /

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you mean?

Quoting Anonymous:

Why would a teacher NOT introduce themselves?

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Quoting Aleta775:

Well, your last sentence is the issue. If we can't see or hear a kid being bullied there is not a ton that we can do about it. I hate that, but that's the truth. That doesn't mean that a teacher/s don't take it seriously. You can pull a bully aside and try to talk to them about their behavior, but they will almost always deny that they have done anything wrong. Then they are sneaky and don't do it when you are looking or they will isolate the victim and harass them where a teacher cannot see it. We have our hands tied, because we cannot hand down punishments simply based on what people say. However, when I have caught bullies, I was always the teacher to push for the stiffest punishment especially if it was supposedly something that was on going. The best we can do is encourage the child that is being bullied to come to a teacher RIGHT away. They shouldn't wait. The sooner they come to a teacher the faster and easier it is to catch the bully in the act and we can do something about it.  

Quoting Bethsunshine:

When a parent approaches you about their child being bullied, ( through email, hand-written letter, on the phone and in person) take it seriously and address the problem. Don't tell the parent, " Well I don't see it happening so I can't do anything about it!" I don't know of any kid on earth who is dumb enough to bully in front of the teacher.

This teacher didn't do anything about it when she was approached by my son, who was the one being bullied, either.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

KeepJeep
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Teacher here as well and I agree. We know.

Quoting IAMmomtotrips:

I am a teacher and yes, we do!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you know who the popular kids are?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM
This is great advice. I sponsor an art/writing/photography /computer club and I purposely seek out these kids because I was unpopular too :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Make non-popular kids feel welcome. The loners, my favorite teachers were the ones that cared for me.

Mommy4two
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I wanted to strangle my son's 1st grade teacher with my bare hands!!!! She was constanly moving his "color" and saying how he was disrubtive... well he had ADD and I'm sorry even having that I still don't believe he was as bad as she would tell me... His K teacher loved him, and his 2nd grade teacher loved him... He had his name moved one time in 2nd grade and he didn't miss one day of school so that's telling you something along with winning 2 citizenship awards and getting to have lunch with the principal...

His 1st grade teacher made him sit and watch everyone eat cake except for him... When he told me I honestly didn't believe him, I confronted her about it and she admitted it... I was beyond shocked and quite frankly beyond pissed off... I'm going to school to be a teacher you don't use food as a reward or punishment.... What's even worse is he got to the point he would tell me "and I'm sorry no 6 yr. old makes this crap up" that she said he was going to go back to K and he was stupid... Poor kid literally had anxiety attacks due to this half way through 2nd grade :-( ...

cowgirls10181
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:17 PM
I want to learn more about it, my neighbors dd has sensory processing disorder. Email me links and info please for a starting point.

Quoting Anonymous:

Please educate yourself on Sensory Processing Disorders. I direct that toward all teachers, not you specifically. My son struggled through two years of school, his greatest obstacle was his teachers not understanding how he worked, how he learned, or what was behind much of his behavior. I did my best to teach the teachers, gave them books on the topic and discussed it frequently. His teachers were receptive but a lot of stress could have been avoided if they had known a bit about the topic beforehand.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)