Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

in the hospital with my DD facing scarey news......

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
It is 11:30 here at the hospital with Caitlin. I am trying to sleep, but that is sooooo not happening. I have not told anyone this (except DH) in real life. I do really do not want to tell anyone, cus I am not wanting to think about it. But, I got to get it out. Wanna scream, and cry.

okay here goes....... So, my 8 yr old DD got sick last night suddenly. Could not keep fpod down, criying her troat hurt and feeling aweful. We went to the pedi who tested her and she came back possitive for strep throat. But, she was super therargic and dehydrated and the pedi was very concerned. So, they sent us to the ER. After 2bags of fluids she was looking better and perking up and I thought we would be going home. But, then all of a sudden new different docs came in and saw her in the and asked a million more question. Then they finally told me what they were concerned by and why they wanted to keep her......

They said her labs (which they ran 2 times to be sure) came back showing that her white cell counts are absurdly high. They really, really are abnormally high. They said it could be just from the infection, but it is unlikely. They are think it is leukemia- childhood cancer. That is the number 1 reason for WBC as high as hers. And they said it often starts with a virus or infection like this that breaks out way worse than expected and/or does not respond well to meds. I am praying soooooo hard for this to just be a very bad strep infection reaction and not the C word. Anyway, please, please, please pray for my girl!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening. I need to stop crying and obsessing and go to sleep. I held it together for my DD, but now that she is asleep, I am falling apart!!! :-(

UPDATE: 8/2 11:00 AM

Sooooo...... Gotta love the waiting and waiting they make you do here. The labs they did this morning came back and her WBC is down a bit, but not nearly as much as they had hoped. So, now they want to send her home and repeat the labs in 2-3 days and see if they are down by then. If they are not down by then, then there is reason to worry, and the battery of tests will begin. I think they really want me to have and ulcer!!!!! Gonna be a long 3 days. But, at least her numbers did go down some, cus if they had not gone down at all, it would have def. meant the worst case senerio. So, I am clutching that ray of hope. And Caitlin looks sooooooo much better today and is eating a little bit and drinking well. So, hopefully we will be going home soon. Thanks for all the support!! I will update you all when I know anything else.

Update 8/10/2012

Still agonizingly waiting for results. WBC Labs were were down slightly but still to high Monday. They did a battery of lab test Tuesday and we are still waiting for those. They said it could take 5-7 days. We have an appt with an Onocologost next Wed. And infectious disease and endocrinologist Thur. Still in a nerve racking ulcer inducing state. Sorry for the. Delayed update. We went to the beach for a few days to enjoy some
fun while we can. (docs said if was ok). And we have been trying nog to think of it as much as possible. I will update when I get more news. Good news is Caitlin is acting pretty closs to her self again and not sick.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Replies (211-220):
Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Hope everything works out and she is okay. Sending prayers an hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM
:-(

Praying for all of you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kagdwg09
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Praying for u
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Hug :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mybabyapples
by Nickels on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Your babygirl has all my thoughts and prayers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvangel704
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM
U will be in my prayers, my eyes filled up with tears as I read this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FutureSoccerM0m
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Just said a prayer and will continue to do so. Please update us when possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FutureSoccerM0m
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Just said a prayer and will continue to do so. Please update us when possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsJHoward
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM
This is do scary mama, sending positive thoughts, keep us posted!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Susan0805
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this
The last time ds had strep his lab work was aweful! Blood sugar was way off, (they told me he may have diabeties) had elevated white blood cells, and blood. He gets gastointeritis with strep sometimes and fevers up to 105. They think he might have rheumatic fever because his joints also get really sore. He has had to be hospitalized too! Anyway, once his fevers break and he starts showing improvement his labs all go back to normal. Now i said all that to say this, this is a preliminary finding, it maybe something serious but it also maybe nothing at all! Take a deep breath and snuggle your little one and try not to worry until you know more!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN