in the hospital with my DD facing scarey news......
okay here goes....... So, my 8 yr old DD got sick last night suddenly. Could not keep fpod down, criying her troat hurt and feeling aweful. We went to the pedi who tested her and she came back possitive for strep throat. But, she was super therargic and dehydrated and the pedi was very concerned. So, they sent us to the ER. After 2bags of fluids she was looking better and perking up and I thought we would be going home. But, then all of a sudden new different docs came in and saw her in the and asked a million more question. Then they finally told me what they were concerned by and why they wanted to keep her......
They said her labs (which they ran 2 times to be sure) came back showing that her white cell counts are absurdly high. They really, really are abnormally high. They said it could be just from the infection, but it is unlikely. They are think it is leukemia- childhood cancer. That is the number 1 reason for WBC as high as hers. And they said it often starts with a virus or infection like this that breaks out way worse than expected and/or does not respond well to meds. I am praying soooooo hard for this to just be a very bad strep infection reaction and not the C word. Anyway, please, please, please pray for my girl!!!!!!!!
Thanks for listening. I need to stop crying and obsessing and go to sleep. I held it together for my DD, but now that she is asleep, I am falling apart!!! :-(
UPDATE: 8/2 11:00 AM
Sooooo...... Gotta love the waiting and waiting they make you do here. The labs they did this morning came back and her WBC is down a bit, but not nearly as much as they had hoped. So, now they want to send her home and repeat the labs in 2-3 days and see if they are down by then. If they are not down by then, then there is reason to worry, and the battery of tests will begin. I think they really want me to have and ulcer!!!!! Gonna be a long 3 days. But, at least her numbers did go down some, cus if they had not gone down at all, it would have def. meant the worst case senerio. So, I am clutching that ray of hope. And Caitlin looks sooooooo much better today and is eating a little bit and drinking well. So, hopefully we will be going home soon. Thanks for all the support!! I will update you all when I know anything else.
Still agonizingly waiting for results. WBC Labs were were down slightly but still to high Monday. They did a battery of lab test Tuesday and we are still waiting for those. They said it could take 5-7 days. We have an appt with an Onocologost next Wed. And infectious disease and endocrinologist Thur. Still in a nerve racking ulcer inducing state. Sorry for the. Delayed update. We went to the beach for a few days to enjoy some
fun while we can. (docs said if was ok). And we have been trying nog to think of it as much as possible. I will update when I get more news. Good news is Caitlin is acting pretty closs to her self again and not sick.