Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate being a working mom UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am an adminstrative assistant at a local college. There is nothing for me to be doing, as it is still summer break and we don't handle admissions or enrollement in my department.

I dropped my son off with the sitter today, and he was fine. She called me an hour later to tell me that he was throwing up. I can't leave because there were two call off's and something "MIGHT" happen that requires my boss to leave the office ( nothing has happened to require him to leave the office in 3 months) .

My sitter just called me again, it's been 2 hours since the first call - because my son was crying hysterically that he wants me. He has thrown up 2 more times, for a total of 3 times in 3 hours. I called the nurse advice line and they said that if he starts vomitting more than once an hour, to bring him in. My son has had health problems in the past - thank god it's in the past - but I fear they might flare up again.

If my sitter tells me he's throwing up again, I'm liekly to quit my job! My baby needs me

I left - I am home with my baby. Just to answer some questions :

Each year, I get 3 weeks of paid time off - two vacation, one personal. I still have 8 days. My husband just started a new job, so he couldn't leave to handle the situation, and my saons father in univolved. 

My sitter ended up taking my son to my mother. My sitter does not mind "dealing" with my son being sick, but he wanted me. I made sure to find a sitter that was okay with giving medications and providing sick care - She was only calling me to keep me in the loop, when I asked her to take DS to my mom, because my mom could sign off on medical care if needed. When he got to my mom's, she laid him down for a nap and he threw up in his sleep. Mom called me and I called HR and asked them what I could do about the situation. They told me to go take care of my kid that she'd put in the personal time and send me the confirmation email. I left. I told my boss - I love my job, I do a great job, I helped you build this department from the ground up. But , my son needs me. I am taking him into urgent care and I will have the paper work to prove it. I will be here bright and early tomorrow morning, but I have to go.

He said " What if I have to leave the office" - I told him, voicemail;s are forwarded to my email, which I get on my phone and all of your emails come to me anyways, so I will be all caught up by tomorrow mornings. He said " You can't leave, I need you here" I told him "My kid needs me right now, and HR has approved the personal time already. I'll forward you the email" - He just said "Ok"

I'm glad I stood up for my baby and my motherhood which is my top priority.

DS is sleeping on my leg right now. The doctor said there is a nasty virus going around, and that it will be gone in 24-48 hours. My mom is babysitting tomorrow so that I know my baby is comfortable while I'm at work

Thank you all for the support. Be back later

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Replies (41-50):
L1558
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Does the baby's father live nearby? Can he help?

I like being a working mom; I love having a paycheck to support my family. 

That said, we NEED MORE working moms to even the playing field, climb the ladder, and set more flexiblity in the workplace. When it's all men, they don't see the need for such flexibility, job sharing, healthy family benefits, etc., because the women are home "taking care of all that". Makes it tougher on the working women, ANNNNNND it isn't really what's best for all anyway (dad working 70 hrs means mom is alone with the kids for 70 hrs and no one really wins).

Nunyabusiness
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Go tell your boss. You need to take care of your sick kid!
iea13
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM
I hate being a working mom too but I have no choice. I want to cry every morning I leave my ds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iea13
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM
You make a very good point. I didn't think of it like that before.

Quoting L1558:

Does the baby's father live nearby? Can he help?

I like being a working mom; I love having a paycheck to support my family. 

That said, we NEED MORE working moms to even the playing field, climb the ladder, and set more flexiblity in the workplace. When it's all men, they don't see the need for such flexibility, job sharing, healthy family benefits, etc., because the women are home "taking care of all that". Makes it tougher on the working women, ANNNNNND it isn't really what's best for all anyway (dad working 70 hrs means mom is alone with the kids for 70 hrs and no one really wins).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WriterBlue
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM
I agree. I love working, but my Job isn't unreasonable! If my baby is sick, I am gone! Plus if u work for a college you should have paid time off. I get 10 paid days a year and I use them when my babies are sick!!

Quoting Josie_P:

I love working. I don't understand why your job is so strict? If there is an emergency, I'm out. Might you lose your job if you leave?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MahgonayMom
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I think it's more of the job than you working. I am so sorry, that has to be frustrating and heart breaking. I hope your little one gets better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Well, if you are married and your husband has job then quit. Your child has a history of health problems, You have to be there. It is not your baby sitters problem.

llheet8586
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I don't know what kind of issues your child had, but even throwing up more than once an hour doesn't mean it is something serious.  Everytime me and the kids get a stomach virus we are puking like every 30 minutes until there is nothing left to puke... then it is just dry heaving every 30 minutes.  I know it sucks when your baby is sick, I get that and I used to be a working mom up until 10 months ago.  Lickily I haven't had that serious of a situation that my husband couldn't handle (I worked around his schedule so we never needed a babysitter).  Seriously if it is THAT bad I am sure the sitter can take him to the dr and you can meet her there if you have to.  Is your job really going to fire you for tending to your child?? You have kids and I am sure it is not a secret to your boss...  

keisha613
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I don't love working either.  And we have 5 kids.  I never thought I would have 5 kids and still have to work.  But DH career didn't take off like we thought it would.  I'm sure if we cut back even more, I wouldn't have to work ( I only work 2 nights a week) but we are both afraid of taking that chance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I would quit....but I have a husband who has a good job and he would agree with me.  If our child was sick and my boss wouldn't let me go to her, I would quit. I do not want to work for someone who does not understand that I am a mother.... 

Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN