Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Helicopter Parents

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 80 Replies
Can someone please tell me when helicopter parents came about and why does it seem to be the norm involving school, friends and athletics?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM
I still dont really know what one is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I dunno. I think I'm uptight about certain things and pretty lax about other things. I don't care whether or not kids run and yell at the playground but when we're at the beach, I'm like a mama bear, practically right on top of them. When we go out in public, I make them stay practically right next to me but when we're at home or our family's houses, I let them go play in a room with just the kids.

beerabitch69
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM
I don't know. But here's a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:49 PM
I don't think that's being a helicopter parent especially at the beach. It's more being involved in everything and on top of them all the time, I think.

Quoting alwayskk:

I dunno. I think I'm uptight about certain things and pretty lax about other things. I don't care whether or not kids run and yell at the playground but when we're at the beach, I'm like a mama bear, practically right on top of them. When we go out in public, I make them stay practically right next to me but when we're at home or our family's houses, I let them go play in a room with just the kids.

alwayskk
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Cool. Sometimes people give me weird looks like, "Geeze let them be a kid" but I'm not like that all the time- there are just certain things that bother me more than others.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think that's being a helicopter parent especially at the beach. It's more being involved in everything and on top of them all the time, I think.

Quoting alwayskk:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Seriously nothing? Not enough drama I guess!
BEXi
by BEXi on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I consider myself more of a free range parent.

HipLikeJunk
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:12 PM

They are really annoying. 

Iron_Beauty
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Helicopter parents are those overprotective ones that wont let a kid play 10 feet away without staring at them the entire time and jumping a mile high when their poor precious baby gets even the tiniest boo boo. *eyeroll*

I let mine run around the apartment and pretty much play where he wants. The only rooms off limits are the bathroom and the kitchen.

opal10161973
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM

That's pretty good, but I have seen ones that go in and yell at the teacher because their poor little Johnny got a B on a paper or scraped his knee on the playground.  Not a big, ugly scrape, no, it's more like, you can barely see anything scrape.  THAT is a helicopter parent!

I have heard in recent years, that companies are now preparing their HR departments for the barrage of questions that parents will have when little Johnny goes for an interview- AFTER college!  WTF?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)