Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm trying to get fired

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
No seriously. My job is making me miserable. They want me to quit and I want then to fire me.

They expect me to do 3 people's jobs and I'm barely making 22K a year. I didn't go to school to make that little of money. I've been promised a raise and promotion for over a year now. I have worked my ass off trying to get this promotion. I would come in early, work through lunch, and stay late. For over a year I have been doing the work of the higher position a well as my current position but I'm still only making 22K.

Now I'm just sick of it. I barely make enough to cover daycare for my kids. I want to quit and go back to school but I need insurance because I am pregnant. If I wasn't working we would do fine without unemployment but I need insurance through this pregnancy so I need them to fire me.

I called out sick on Weds and Thurs. My son was actually sick on Weds. Thursday I woke up with a bad headache.

It was so hard to drag myself out of bed this morning. I did not want to come in. But I managed to get myself and my boys ready. I was walking out the door 5 mins before I was supposed to be at work. My DH offered to take the kids to school so I wouldn't be late but I declined.

I even took my time at daycare. I talked to the teachers about my new hair cut and the new classroom decorations.

I walked into work 15 minutes late. My boss' number one pet peeve is tardiness. And my stinking boss wasn't even there! He had a meeting outside the office this morning.

Now it seems all of my coworkers are giving me the cold shoulder.

I don't want to piss off my coworkers because I see them outside of work.

But I want to make my boss fire me..

Is there a way to do both?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Yeah that is kind of how it is here.

A year ago I was told that I would get a promotion if I could prove myself because someone was fired. I was given work of the higher position and people started throwing more work at me. I took it all with stride. Then one of my co-workers (who is actually in a high position than I am and makes twice as much a me) went on maternity leave. While she was out I had to take over her responsibilities. I still wasn't given a raise.

She has been back for 3 months and still hasn't relieved me of all of her duties.

So I have been doing my co-workers job, the job of the position I should get promote to, and the job I was hired for.

I have addressed my salary issues with my boss but he said it wasn't in the budget to make changes an he thought our current system was working.

I was going to quit shortly after that conversation but then I found out I was pregnant.

I thought my co-workers would step up and help out once I announced my pregnancy but they haven't. My superiors are only throwing more and more work at me. I honestly think one of my superiors is predjudice against pregnant women because he acted this way to my coworker when she was pregnant as well

Quoting lilbit53009:

i understand...my supervisor left and now i'm in charge of our dept. only i didn't get a pay raise or the title.

i also work with 2 incompetent people who can't keep up on anything so i basically end up doing 4 peoples work instead of just mine :-/

they won't fire you though because you're pregnant. they know they could have a possible law suit on their hands.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM

It would not be wise for them to fire a pregnant woman.  Lots of lawsuit/FMLA violation potential.  If you really do not want to work anymore and have a state disability program that you pay into and/or a sick pay plan forom your employer, then have your doctor medically disable you for pregnancy related reasons.  Your insurance deduction will continue to come out of employers pay portion.  Or you can pay on your own to the company. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM
My boss isn't here enough to see what really goes on.

I don't plan on returning to this field so a reference from this company is not that big of a deal

Quoting Anonymous:

If the boss saw it that way, your coworkers would be out of a job. Work sucks sometimes for everyone, but what your doing doesn't seem fair to the people you work with. And this kind of behavior won't earn you a positive reference if you plan to reenter the workforce at some point.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I'm basically doing their jobs when I am here...

Quoting Anonymous:

I would imagine your coworkers have more work to do when your not there. No wonder they are giving you the cold shoulder. If you don't want to work, don't. Stop playing games.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM
How do I get my doctor to medically disable me?

Quoting Anonymous:

It would not be wise for them to fire a pregnant woman.  Lots of lawsuit/FMLA violation potential.  If you really do not want to work anymore and have a state disability program that you pay into and/or a sick pay plan forom your employer, then have your doctor medically disable you for pregnancy related reasons.  Your insurance deduction will continue to come out of employers pay portion.  Or you can pay on your own to the company. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Yes he said it wasnt in the current budget to give me a raise an he thought the current system was working

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Have you talked to your boss? I would tell him that unless I was being paid for working a job above my pay grade, then I wouldnt work it. 

romalove
by SakePrincess on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Quoting KairisMama:

Why do you want to get fired? They'll fight your UE and probably win if they have reason to fire you.

This may not be everywhere, but I am in NJ.  In NJ, if you get fired and the employer says it's for cause, you can appeal it, but even if you don't, it means you have to wait an extra 6 weeks but then your benefits kick in. 

I know because this happened to me.  I was let go and the employer said it was because I was using the company computer for personal business.  They told me right away that it would take 6 weeks if they were adjudicated in the right (they were), and I just waited the six weeks (you have to submit the paperwork every two weeks just as if you were getting paid) and after the six week punishment they pay you.

Check in your state if the same thing holds.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:51 AM
I can get on my husbands insurance after the baby is born.

If I got fired I could get UE insturance or Medicaid

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont understand. How will quitting provide insurance ?

Quoting Anonymous:

I want to get fired so I can have insurance through out my pregnancy.

If I dont get fired before the end of the year I will quit after the baby is born.

Quoting Drochmheas:

So which is it?

Do you want to quit, or do you want to get fired?

I'm not quite following here.

Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM
I heard once that you can't get fired while pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hope_love_dream
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

god sometimes i wish your computer will get stolen. you're one i really truly despise

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

You are pregnant, not terminally ill...do your job

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Let him know what kind of stress you are under and what your job entails.  Since you seem to have a mostly sit down job (office?) it will be more a bit tricky.  My dr. would never do it - but I;ve seen women put on pregnancy leave extremely early due to stress, severe morning sickness, high blood pressure,...do you have a sick pay plan and does your state decuct SDI from your check?  Not all states do - also go to HR and ask for info on FMLA.  Or go to youe states labor website.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)