Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The choice no mother ever wants to have to make. WWYD UPDATED

Posted by   + Show Post

Late Thursday night a local mother had to make the choice no mother ever wants to. Who do you save? Kaylan Perry and her 17 mo old daughter Charisma were in their truck at the Ohio river (the baby was sleeping) when apaprently Charisma kicked the truck into gear. As the truck headed toward the water Kaylan's boyfriend tried to stop it and suffered broken ribs as the truck ran him over. Kaylan was frantically unbuckeling the child's safety harness as the truck hit the Ohio River. Unable to swim and pregnant, Kaylan eventually stopped trying to unbuckle her daughter and saved herself and her unborn child. Did she make the right decision? What would you do? I have been thinking about this ever since it happened and my heart goes out to Kaylan, Charisma and their whole family as they must now mourn the death of this precious child. Here is a link to the story. This paper followed the story hour by hour and posted updates/corrections as they got them. The final update has not been posted and that is why I told that part of the story first. The truck, with the child inside was finally removed from the Ohio 10 hrs later.

Vehicle reported in the water in Old Shawneetown, near Bunge: UPDATE | Disclosure News Online

ETA: I have been trying to reply to everyone so I thought I would just add that I don't know how the child kicked it into gear. I pictured that the child was in the middle and it was a stick shift?

There are still so many unanswered questions for me. Many of the events seem staged imo but I am praying that this was truly just a horrific tragedy and did not involve foul play. 

And..as many have said, you truly do not know how you would react in such a situation. As a PP pointed out, our bodies are designed for self preservation. Would your mommy instincts override that? I know we all would like to think so...

ETA: UPDATE: Child drowns when truck rolls in river at Old Shawneetown ยป Evansville Courier & Press

This link gives more info....

by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM
Replies (291-300):
Leobaby2007
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Quoting Mj1978mom:

I would die trying to save my child, not the unborn one. My kid dies we die together.

^^^ ITA.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I would have died trying to save him.
MyBabies86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM
This just breaks my heart :'(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM

WOW! What a very, very sad story! I feel so bad for the family! May that precious child RIP.  :  (

BeAmour
by Tonya on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM
2 moms liked this
After reading the last link, I cannot fathom how this was an accident.

Mom and baby in truck after guy STOPS it and gets out.
Thus, more than likely in Park if an automatic which means for baby to kick it, it would already be in the highest position upward making it near impossible for a kick to pull the gear shift backwards.

Since the mom was in the small truck, she could have scooted into the drivers seat. Situation averted.

Then mom saves herself and she's pregnant?

No way. I hate that I even had to analyze it like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenny_Penny89
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Quoting Mj1978mom:

I would die trying to save my child, not the unborn one. My kid dies we die together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM
I would never leave my baby. I would rather die trying to save her than leave her to die alone.
alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM
I couldn't leave my daughter. Her carseat is a 5 point harness, I can swim. I'd get her out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nunyabusiness
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Quoting Mj1978mom:

That's exactly what I thought when I read this post. I would have died trying to save my baby and the unborn baby would be with us.
pregnancy calendar
Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't add up. Some of the things they are saying are impossible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN