Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**all questions answered in relpies :) To everyone who asks a SAHM "What will you do if your husband loses his job?"

Posted by   + Show Post
I always see people asking SAHMs What they'll do if dh loses his job. Well, lucky me, I can now answer that question. Df lost his job on Thursday. When he first came home and told me, I wanted to throw up. We have four kids between us and the youngest is a month old.

Will I go back to work? Nope. I don't have to because df believes if you're going to make a woman a mother, you better provide for her while she raises your children. The first thing he did was sign up for unemployment. The second thing he did was call my dad and ask to borrow some tools (the two of them could stock an Ace hardware store), then he took some money out of our savings and bought two cars cheap, fixed them up, listed them on Craigslist and they both sold right away. We've made 4K in 3 days. Today we're going to buy another little car.

He's happy as can be, he hates working for a company and would rather be in his own. When I met him, he hadn't had a paycheck job on years, but I was so impressed that he consistently made as much money as he did and kept his bills and child support current. He's good at making money. The only reason he got a regular job in the first place was because we moved to my home state. Now we've been here a while and he's got the lay of the land, he's ready to go back to being himself and we have plenty of time together as a couple and a family. It never crossed his mind that I should go back to work, unless I want to. I'm currently pursuing a higher degree in my field and he wants me to be free to focus on that and the family, so that's what I'll do. I'll keep being a SAHM and he'll turn our home into a mini used car lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Replies (201-206):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Aug. 5, 2012 at 5:54 AM

1.  My SO has a career ... not a job. 

2.  We have several back up plans if he ever becomes able to not actually perform any duties within his career.

3.  I am in graduate school.  

adorablenessx
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Id go on PA!

no first id shit bricks and land another career. I'm working on making my other half a SAHD hes much better at it than I am.

cupomeow
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM

He sounds like a good man.

AthenaRadhaGaia
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

i dont consider raising kids lazy. but im talking about people who will go on food stamps and stuff without looking for a job when their husband looses theirs. Your husband worked hard to provide you with stuff the least you can do is look for a job while he takes care of the kids for a change. I cant stand that and that goes for stay at home dads too. and women need to be taught they can amount to more than just a housewife.

AthenaRadhaGaia
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

theres nothing wrong with being a shm but it seems like so many women think they arent capable of supporting a family and need a man

sophiasmommy27
by Sarah Sweetheart on Aug. 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM
my so is amazing at making money as well. I swear if he ever lost his job I'm sure we'd be fine. it's a good feeling.

glad everything worked out girl!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)