Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**all questions answered in relpies :) To everyone who asks a SAHM "What will you do if your husband loses his job?"

Posted by   + Show Post
I always see people asking SAHMs What they'll do if dh loses his job. Well, lucky me, I can now answer that question. Df lost his job on Thursday. When he first came home and told me, I wanted to throw up. We have four kids between us and the youngest is a month old.

Will I go back to work? Nope. I don't have to because df believes if you're going to make a woman a mother, you better provide for her while she raises your children. The first thing he did was sign up for unemployment. The second thing he did was call my dad and ask to borrow some tools (the two of them could stock an Ace hardware store), then he took some money out of our savings and bought two cars cheap, fixed them up, listed them on Craigslist and they both sold right away. We've made 4K in 3 days. Today we're going to buy another little car.

He's happy as can be, he hates working for a company and would rather be in his own. When I met him, he hadn't had a paycheck job on years, but I was so impressed that he consistently made as much money as he did and kept his bills and child support current. He's good at making money. The only reason he got a regular job in the first place was because we moved to my home state. Now we've been here a while and he's got the lay of the land, he's ready to go back to being himself and we have plenty of time together as a couple and a family. It never crossed his mind that I should go back to work, unless I want to. I'm currently pursuing a higher degree in my field and he wants me to be free to focus on that and the family, so that's what I'll do. I'll keep being a SAHM and he'll turn our home into a mini used car lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Replies (11-20):
sahmamax2
by Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

i"d get a job if I had too. My DH would never be without a job though, so I'm not worried.

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Glad it's working out for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband has been laid off, several times in our marriage, he just gets another job. 

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Well considering we've ones our own business for a long time I am not worried but I would continue to run my own separate business no big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM
6 moms liked this

Im glad things are looking up for you.

I dont understand why women ask this like it only applies to SAHMs. What would happen if a working mom lost her job, or her dh. You survive thats what happens.

jellybeanjean
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:27 AM

My husband wouldn't be without a job for long. Hes not that type - he would find something ASAP.Even if the only thing he could get was flip burgers he would do that until he got something better. As for me, when the time comes that we need the money and when my little one becomes more independent I will of course be returning to work.

LaughingCheetah
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this
awesome. I am a sahm until my 6 month old gets into school. Then I am going to college to be a meterologist. I have always had a strong love for weather.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Quoting mommy_me:

Im glad things are looking up for you.

I dont understand why women ask this like it only applies to SAHMs. What would happen if a working mom lost her job, or her dh. You survive thats what happens.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM
My df lost his job and I found one until he starts working again ( he changed careers) so he's a sahd right now and sees its not as easy as it looks lmao . He goes offshore next week but I will continue to work because I like my Job and can take my dd with me daily :)
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:31 AM
I have my master's already but dh would just get another job. He's a petroleum engineer so its pretty easy. Plus we have quite a bit of savings/stocks/retirement etc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN