Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**all questions answered in relpies :) To everyone who asks a SAHM "What will you do if your husband loses his job?"

Posted by   + Show Post
I always see people asking SAHMs What they'll do if dh loses his job. Well, lucky me, I can now answer that question. Df lost his job on Thursday. When he first came home and told me, I wanted to throw up. We have four kids between us and the youngest is a month old.

Will I go back to work? Nope. I don't have to because df believes if you're going to make a woman a mother, you better provide for her while she raises your children. The first thing he did was sign up for unemployment. The second thing he did was call my dad and ask to borrow some tools (the two of them could stock an Ace hardware store), then he took some money out of our savings and bought two cars cheap, fixed them up, listed them on Craigslist and they both sold right away. We've made 4K in 3 days. Today we're going to buy another little car.

He's happy as can be, he hates working for a company and would rather be in his own. When I met him, he hadn't had a paycheck job on years, but I was so impressed that he consistently made as much money as he did and kept his bills and child support current. He's good at making money. The only reason he got a regular job in the first place was because we moved to my home state. Now we've been here a while and he's got the lay of the land, he's ready to go back to being himself and we have plenty of time together as a couple and a family. It never crossed his mind that I should go back to work, unless I want to. I'm currently pursuing a higher degree in my field and he wants me to be free to focus on that and the family, so that's what I'll do. I'll keep being a SAHM and he'll turn our home into a mini used car lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Replies (21-30):
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Quoting lwalker270:

What are you going to do about insurance?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:32 AM
4 moms liked this
There are lots of reasons one might want an education, regardless of being a SAHM or not.

I'm a SAHM with a masters, working on my Ph D. Perhaps when my kids are much older I will put it to use in a financial sense. But honestly, it is mostly just so that I can feel like I'm using my brain to it's full potential, so I can be proud of myself, and so that I'm setting a good example for my kids. The added bonus is that it enables me to be financially independent if I ever choose or need to be.

Quoting vwd_johnson:

How come your pursuing a further degree in your field if you're never going to work again? Just curious.. not being rude

xomrs.chase
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I'd go back to work (I left on good terms) until he found a job. I had a career before my son was born. I gladly gave it up to stay home, but I could return if we needed it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM
So he's making all this money under the table and not paying taxes? Niiice.
MrsRinehart2010
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM
my husbnad has been laid off he got unemployment an after a while a guy he knew threw his old boss gave him a job.

My husbnad had worked threw a private company an the owner got screwed over so he had to lay every one off. So my husbnad now works for a private owned company where he is the only employe other than his boss :O). An if he lost this job he would just go work for another guy he knows who wants him to work for him :O) This guys is always trying to get my husband to come work full time for him but my husband will only work side jobs for him since he already is working for some one lol.
NoahandEliza
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I hate that question, too. As if he has the only decent job in the world and I would have to run to McDonalds immediately or we would be homeless. We have savings, we each have degrees, our bills are current...it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm glad things worked out for you guys and your dh will probably be even happier now :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM
And collecting unemployment

Quoting Anonymous:

daiseymae2
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

My answer to that question when people ask is it's none of your business. LOL

Good for your DF though! 

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

at least hes not sitting on his butt doing nothing. kudos to your dh.

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

Lishes
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM
4 moms liked this

I was thinking the same thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

And collecting unemployment

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN