Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**all questions answered in relpies :) To everyone who asks a SAHM "What will you do if your husband loses his job?"

Posted by   + Show Post
I always see people asking SAHMs What they'll do if dh loses his job. Well, lucky me, I can now answer that question. Df lost his job on Thursday. When he first came home and told me, I wanted to throw up. We have four kids between us and the youngest is a month old.

Will I go back to work? Nope. I don't have to because df believes if you're going to make a woman a mother, you better provide for her while she raises your children. The first thing he did was sign up for unemployment. The second thing he did was call my dad and ask to borrow some tools (the two of them could stock an Ace hardware store), then he took some money out of our savings and bought two cars cheap, fixed them up, listed them on Craigslist and they both sold right away. We've made 4K in 3 days. Today we're going to buy another little car.

He's happy as can be, he hates working for a company and would rather be in his own. When I met him, he hadn't had a paycheck job on years, but I was so impressed that he consistently made as much money as he did and kept his bills and child support current. He's good at making money. The only reason he got a regular job in the first place was because we moved to my home state. Now we've been here a while and he's got the lay of the land, he's ready to go back to being himself and we have plenty of time together as a couple and a family. It never crossed his mind that I should go back to work, unless I want to. I'm currently pursuing a higher degree in my field and he wants me to be free to focus on that and the family, so that's what I'll do. I'll keep being a SAHM and he'll turn our home into a mini used car lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM
That's a good idea. My SO was thinking of doing that because his uncle goes to auctions and gets cars for cheap. He works too much now but once it slows down, for some extra cash we just might do it.
lowencope
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM
It sounds like he's a quality man keep him around.
MLozano
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM
If my dh lost his job i would work. Im going to be working in the next year anyway hopefully. My youngest will be in kindergarten next year. I also only have one semester left until my bachelors degree. But i would like to pursue my masters if i dont work right away. Good luck to you. Everything always has a way of working itself out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myperfect4inok
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM
It's a valid question for many non educated sahm who relay on pa and have no savings
It's a valid question for you.
What happens when there is no one to sell the junk cars too? What are you going to do about insurance?
What are you going to do when unemployment finds out and you don't have that coming in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM

The OP did not state she'd never work again...simply not while her kids were young. 

Quoting vwd_johnson:

How come your pursuing a further degree in your field if you're never going to work again? Just curious.. not being rude

Leobaby2007
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually, I think this is kind of awesome. My husband works 60 hours a week in the hospitality industry. Horrible hours. I hate it.

Now your husband will have more time to spend with you and the kids. :-)

Good for him for making lemonade out of lemons!!!!!
Kmary
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never understood the question being asked so often either.  Quite frankly, even in a home with two working parents, unless they  make a lot of money together or make roughly the same amount as one another, wouldn't the question be the same for them?  I know lots of families where both parents work and honestly, they'd be almost as screwed as we would if one of them lost a job.  It would suck for both types of families and would take some adjustment and hard work to get back on track. 

This scenario is what things like unemployment, savings, one's education, connections, hard work, budgeting, life insurance (if  it's a spousal death thing) etc are for.   What else can anyone do, but do a little preparation and hope for the best? 

Kmary
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM

And OP, I forgot to add:  you have a man who is able to work with his hands and make money, legally, on his own.  They are a dying breed.  Good for him!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

is he reporting all that income to unemployment?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this
We have our 6 month emergency fund set up to use just for that reason! Thanks to Dave Ramseys financial class! And we have our regular savings account.so if dh lost his job we could still live and make our mortgage payment,and I would go back to work.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN