Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it welfare fraud?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies
An acquaintance of mine left her kids and her ebt card with a family member while she goes to rehab. It will probably be a long term rehab stay, like 6 months or more. She lists her address with the welfare office as the relative's home even though she's not there. She expects the relative to withdraw the cash aid and give it to her in rehab, and to keep the majority of food stamp benefits for the kids. She thinks it's ok but it doesn't seem legal to me.

Anyone know? For the record, it's just curiosity, I don't plan on getting in their biz about it either way.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I would call and complain.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Wow! Really?
nursemc
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM
4 moms liked this

If the relative's home is the address on the file, then that relative had to be counted (including their income) on the original claim. Just because the primary person on the claim is in the hospital does not mean everyone loses their benefits. However, if the original claim was filed without claiming the homeowner and their income, it has been fraud all along.

Livinwith3boys
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Fraud...and stupid of the homeowner!! They need to put a stop to that, NOW...

Mamaof3and1tobe
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes she's wrong for it but ehh... Not my business
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this
I'd leave it alone. Those food stamps are for her kids and that's where they are going. Mind your own business.
AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM
2 moms liked this
If she is using the foodstamps on the kids, I don't see the big deal....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM
5 moms liked this

Jesus Christ people.  Who cares?  She's in rehab trying to get better, and the kids need to be fed.  I'd rather her in rehab than on the streets getting high and drunk and still be on welfare.  Get a life and stop sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

her kids need to be taken care of, so just because mom is a loony her kids should suffer and not recieve food and aid?

curious to know why you all think this is fraud.  if her kids are underage the food stamps and cash were going towards helping her and the kids

radioheid
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM

She needs to notify her caseworker ASAP, because it will likely constitute fraud if she doesn't.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)