Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Overweight *EDIT TO* Obese (my bad) - parents make me sad.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Today at my child's gymnastics class, there were two parents attending witht their child. Very kind parents, really sweet, and it was so sad for me to see that in a very slow paced parents and me class, they were so winded by following around their child assisting them here or there, that they had to excuse themselves to go sit down for the remainder of the class (the teacher didn't miss a beat and picked up where the parents left off). 

Please don't mistake this for a bash. I don't think they are "bad' parents (although I don't think they set a great example) , I don't think they are "bad" people, I make no assumptions about anything, It just makes me really, really sad for the child, and for the parents. That can't be a good feeling, I know it would really upset me to not be as engaged and involved in my child's activities as I want to be. As a child, it can't be a good feeling to not have your parents participate in a program because of their weight (which I doubt the 2 year old caught on to, she was a really sweet little girl). 

I just felt sad for them.  

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM
Replies (51-60):
smurfbitebug
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:01 PM
The truth is there are a MYRIAD of reasons why parents may not be the quickest or the ones with the most endurance or stamina or whatever..

Why just pick out one?

Why don't we go ahead and pick on all the mothers and fathers not able to do everything you think they should do, and go ahead and say that they make you sad, too. Why not? What makes fat people worse than everyone else with the same problem for different reasons?

It's because you can say it and actually have people agree with you. You don't come off as a huge scumbag, just a slight scumbag. They're an easy target.

Blah.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pokemon_Lover
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Skinny ignorant parents make me sad. There are medical issues and medications that cause being overweight. I hate how you judgmental people just jump to the conclusion it is diet and lack of exercise.

smurfbitebug
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Hahaha yeah. Why don't all you judgmental people start doing this more often? Maybe someone will eventually knock some sense into you.

Quoting Anonymous:

You should have talked to them and told them how sad it is that they are overweight and then offered to set up a diet and exercist program for them so you wouldn't have to be sad anymore.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I'm sure others will bash, but I think I understand where you're coming from.  If I'm right, then you'd have felt the same sadness for both my child and me if you saw me winded despite being thin years ago...before my heart condition was diagnosed and properly treated.  In other words, it wasn't so much the weight that saddened you, but the fact that they couldn't be involved with their child as you know they wanted to be.  Am I understanding you correctly?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Fuck off, I'm overweight and i walk my son to preschool twice a week, I end up walking 4 miles total twice a week and I'm fine...not tired at all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justgracie
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I am fat.  I get winded when I participate with my kids.

It's sad.

But it's not sad because I am fat.  I am fat because my lungs are failing.  I have 17% lung function.  I will die young.  And that is sad.  Every time I go do something with my kids, I know that people are looking at me and judging as I huff and puff.  And that is sad too.

Congratulations on your working body.  But understand that sometimes the difference between you and that breathless fatty is good fortune.

momma4AJ
by Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM

as an over weight parent, it IS hard. i'm 24 years old 5'8" and 293 lbs... but i AM trying... i dont want to be a  teig, i just want to be able to keep up with my almost 3 year old... i'm pretty good about it anyway now because when i was younger i was in sports in school so it helped built some muscle, but now i feel jiggly and i dont like it. my husband says that he loves the way i look and when i told him that i wanted to try and get into a shape other than round he said, "do it for your self, not for me". our son is a VERY active 2 year old and very skinny and i want to do it for him too...

treadmill

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I am 5'5" and weigh 200 lbs. I walk 2-3 miles per day at a vigorous pace and can make circles around my skinny, lazy ass friends. Being overweight doesn't always mean you are out of shape. I ride my bike, I walk, I run, I do Zumba, and I am losing weight... slowly. 

I think you are confusing being overweight and being out of shape. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM

It does bum me out when parents can't do something they want to do with their kids. It isn't just being overweight. If someone has a disability that doesn't allow them to play with their child in the way they want to, that really sucks. I keep saying bums me out because I don't pitty people, I just feel for them. 

I do believe that if you have something that you can change (and while there are a wide variety of reasons people are not fit. Majorty of cases do come down to self control, time management , proper planning and motivation) that impacts your physical relationship with your child, it is a huge bummer not to change it. I believe that there are a lot of poor nutritional and physical choices made in our society today. There are of course medical issues that contribute to weight and mobility issues, but I do believe that obesity is largely something that many people CAN change, and that makes it much different from someone who has cerebral palsy (please see previous weight qualifiers). It isn't about picking on an easy target. Weight loss can be a long difficult road, even if it is the result of choices you have made. Changing habits is hard. People who are obese are not "worse", but it can be much different issue than having a physical disability that you were born with/resulted because of an injury (please see previous weight qualifiers). 

Quoting smurfbitebug:

The truth is there are a MYRIAD of reasons why parents may not be the quickest or the ones with the most endurance or stamina or whatever..

Why just pick out one?

Why don't we go ahead and pick on all the mothers and fathers not able to do everything you think they should do, and go ahead and say that they make you sad, too. Why not? What makes fat people worse than everyone else with the same problem for different reasons?

It's because you can say it and actually have people agree with you. You don't come off as a huge scumbag, just a slight scumbag. They're an easy target.

Blah.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM

No, I did make the mistake of saying overweight and not obese though. That was my bad.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am 5'5" and weigh 200 lbs. I walk 2-3 miles per day at a vigorous pace and can make circles around my skinny, lazy ass friends. Being overweight doesn't always mean you are out of shape. I ride my bike, I walk, I run, I do Zumba, and I am losing weight... slowly. 

I think you are confusing being overweight and being out of shape. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)